Whats your average speed over a ten mile time trial ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
I understand the course can change times . What I was after was , if i'm doing 19mph and everyone is doing 35 mph then I'm out . It seems I am getting close to ok ish so its worth the extra effort to get better and give it a go .
Deffo give it a go, in a race situation you will blow that away, 19mph in training is a good place to be...

oldroadman

Veteran
Yes i know, the warp TT team uses the same technology! Bet that's fast too!
An interesting observation. No bike is "fast" but some are more aero than others. However, no matter how aero the bike is, unless you can get into a - relatively uncomfortable - proper TT position which is low (flat back) and narrow, plus be race fit, all the money and bike in the world will not produce any results that could be described as a spectacular improvement. Sorry about that, it's hard graft and pain that generates speed, and once the optimum performance is reached, maybe consider what some describe as a "fast" bike. Just don't get taken in by the advertising and some of the wind tunnel stuff, the real world is very different, surfaces, hills, corners, crosswinds, all of which call for fitness and good bike handling! The "fast" bike just completes that package once performance peaks.

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
An interesting observation. No bike is "fast" but some are more aero than others. However, no matter how aero the bike is, unless you can get into a - relatively uncomfortable - proper TT position which is low (flat back) and narrow, plus be race fit, all the money and bike in the world will not produce any results that could be described as a spectacular improvement. Sorry about that, it's hard graft and pain that generates speed, and once the optimum performance is reached, maybe consider what some describe as a "fast" bike. Just don't get taken in by the advertising and some of the wind tunnel stuff, the real world is very different, surfaces, hills, corners, crosswinds, all of which call for fitness and good bike handling! The "fast" bike just completes that package once performance peaks.
Plenty with more money than ability but if you give it your all and can afford good equipment go for it :thumbsup:

iggibizzle

Getting better on my ten mile local loop that I knocked up for a giggle. 18mph average but that was with getting stuck at 2 red lights. Couple mins lost. Plus it was on my old 7 speed 70's steel. Wouldn't mind a go at a proper tt one day. Even if I failed badly at least il know I tried

Edit - only 2nd time I've tried it. Shaved 2mins off last attempt at end of December. If I can improve by same again in next few months of be impressed with myself

iggibizzle

It isn't really easy to fail at time-trialling. If you can already average 18 mph under non-ideal conditions you will be fine. As long as you stay on your bike and don't get lost you're winning.

I meant get a thorough thrashing. I wouldn't like that. I know it's not about that but still :laugh: About year ago I entered a half marathon. Never done anything like that before but did pretty well time wise. Although I hate running. But love it on the bike just fancy challenging myself to do something. Id never ridden a road bike until July!

Mr Bunbury

You sound like you're ready to enter a local club TT now. It will probably be on a faster course, it almost certainly won't have any traffic lights and you'll get the extra magic mph from the number pinned on your back. You may well beat some people on much more expensive bikes than yours.

Mr Bunbury

... just make sure you grease your wheel bearings before you start. When the pain starts to kick in, your mind will play tricks and you'll either think "I needn't bother trying here, I'm going to go slowly anyway because of my wheel bearings" or "I didn't regrease my bearings just to give up now!"

Also, the thing to do with the level crossing is to warm up by riding out to it, then start and finish at opposite sides of the crossing.

iggibizzle

I only started cycling properly last July. And only just joined a club so getting used to what they do. I'm only gonna get faster. Will look at entering something over summer I recon. Will get some clip on aero bars and put them on my modern bike. See what happens :bicycle:

NorvernRob

I wouldn't mind seeing if I can find any local TT courses and having a go one day. Sheffield isn't exactly flat, but I can manage my 19.4 mile training loop in exactly 60 minutes - it has over 1,000ft of elevation, a couple of sets of traffic lights, 8 or 9 roundabouts and the same amount of junctions (though I do it anti clockwise so nearly all left turns).

I still don't think I'd do much more than 20/21mph average though on a flatter course!

ChrisEyles

Guru
I seem to be a good deal slower than most here!

My best effort so far is 10 miles (with 464ft of climbing) in 32:30ish - a rather paltry 18.5mph! I would love to break the 30:00 barrier just once, but can't see it happening any time soon.

I think I will stick to longer rides with lots of breaks for flapjacks :smile:

Top Bottom