Whats your average speed over a ten mile time trial ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
My PB is 25 minutes, which is 24mph, if my maths is correct.

Flat course in favourable conditions, but on a standard road bike.

mythste

Veteran
Just been looking at some of the times posted and it seems I have a lot of work to do so I don't look like a proper nobber :eek:

I did my first 10 mile "get out and bomb it around as fast as I can" last night. Admittedly, Liverpool city centre isnt ideal for setting lap records and the wind was less than ideal and im running nobbley 35mm tyres and I was probably a little dehydrated and Id been at work all day and I got stuck at some traffic lights and it took me... 50 minutes.

Onwards and upwards!

shadow master

I'm wanting to do time trials more and more so just wondered whats the average speed expected ?
I've had 21.4mph on a rolling 10 miles,but it varies so much on the course,when they asked Greg lemond despite claiming to drug free, how he still holds one of the quickest time trials ever in the tour,his reply was simply
"Because it was downhill"

shadow master

Speed Concept is definitely one of the best for Aerodynamics and for looks. Also worth looking at Argon 18 and Giant Trinity TT frames as well. All very very good in this discipline.
The Merida reacto is the 2nd fastest bike in the world,after the cervelo,but the merida doesn't beat you up due to the s flex seat post.

mythste

Veteran
The Merida reacto is the 2nd fastest bike in the world,after the cervelo,but the merida doesn't beat you up due to the s flex seat post.

I dont want to be come across sarcastic, but how does one measure the "speed" of a bike. I'm sure it wouldnt be the fastest if it was karting my buttocks about.

shadow master

I dont want to be come across sarcastic, but how does one measure the "speed" of a bike. I'm sure it wouldnt be the fastest if it was karting my buttocks about.
Easy really they measure the watts required to maintain the bike at 40kmh,in a controlled environment for a set amount of time with no variables,is wind tunnel.obviously with all factors being the same,aero bikes are faster,ie take the least power to maintain speed.with 90% of the resistance coming from the bike and rider,the bike that gets you in the most aero position that can be maintained( ie comfortable) are the fastest, you'll notice most of the fastest bike on the tests all look about the same,computers all come up with the same designs.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The Merida Reacto is a road bike, not a time trial bike.

gds58

Über Member
With the greatest of respect, the Merida Reacto is a Road Bike as is the Cervelo S3 (which is the other bike you refer to) so it is a pointless comparison against the Trek Speed Concept which IS a Time Trial bike and IS a faster bike than either of the two you mention. In a debate on this subject you can only make comparisons on like for like types or your references are pointless. The fact is a properly designed TT bike will always be faster than a road bike even if it is an aero framed road bike.

iggibizzle

I made a 10mile loop on Strava to test myself on. Only done it once on my steel with grinding wheel bearings. Only problem is there is a level crossing half way round. Have to time it right or the lap is a write-off :laugh:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I made a 10mile loop on Strava to test myself on. Only done it once on my steel with grinding wheel bearings. Only problem is there is a level crossing half way round. Have to time it right or the lap is a write-off :laugh:

That sort of thing sometimes happens in real time trials. I did a 25 once where I got stuck at temporary lights on the way out and on the way back (it was a local event, not an 'open'). I've also marshalled on a course with a pedestrian crossing- they don't delay you as much as a level crossing tho'!

iggibizzle

The level crossing is right outside where I lived growing up. So really should have made a different route Bob on ten miles though

Top Bottom