What's your biggest bike related mistake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
mine is going from SPD cleats/pedals to SPD-SL. I have been trying to love my Look pedals all summer (and about 1500 miles) but for some reason I just can't get the hang of them. I just can't clip in quickly and accurately and have had a few little twitchy botty moments.

Have decided to give up on them. Might give Speedplays a go next summer, but on the winter steed it is back to SPD.

Sharky

Guru
Spd-sl are not look compatible. If you are mixing the two it might explain the problems?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had £1500 going spare. I set off on my bike to a bike shop about 10 miles away where i'd seen a Bianchi bling machine in the window, reduced from £2000 to £1300. I intended to buy the bike and return later in my car to pick it up. On my way an old Audi convertible (for sale) caught my eye. Something inside told me that i was now an old man and should be taking it easy, so i ended up buying the car and not the bike. I went out in the car but every time i was out i'd see someone riding a road bike and i'd think WTF am i doing in this thing? when i could be out there enjoying myself.:cry:

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
Not taking cycling seriously enough to alter my diet for better gains.

Spending a tad too much money, only a tad, on experimental stuff.

Throwing away my MTB and road bikes because they were old.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Buying a mountain bike that I've hardly touched.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
A few bikes I've had and got rid of prematurely over minor fixable niggles when there was a pretty n+1 that I needed money or space for. A pretty nondescript Peugeot roadie that I converted to a flat bar flyer is my biggest regret.

Buying my 2nd hand Coppi roadie convincing myself I could make its 54 frame fit my min 56 body properly comfortably, just about but not for hours of riding.

Letting my lakadasical eldest son borrow a couple of bikes that he managed to have stolen while in his care. My Revolution Cross 10 being his most egregious loss.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Aged 11, taking on the 'double woops' during a regional BMX race - probably a bit too early for me to attempt that one. Spending a shed load of money (for me) during the 90s on some downhill titanium bars - bike was for XC :crazy:. Buying a Trek 1200 SL unseen, did not fit and was painful to ride. I keep making mistakes, it's fun.

Top Bottom