What's your biggest bike related mistake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Dismantling a pair of 105 shifters as I could not feed the new cables through:blink:. Needless to say they were scrap, lesson learned!

I did this with a broken one just to see how they worked.
Buggered if I could get it back together.

Lonestar

Veteran
Probably buying the Brompton in 2014 but no I ain't selling.

On the flip side,buying the fixies (2010 and 2013) have been my biggest successes.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Buying a full-boinger that I've ridden twice and which takes up valuable shed space.
Buying an ali-framed ss/fixed because it was £99 cheaper than the steel framed one. It was £1000 more uncomfortable but I didn't find that out until I bought a steel one.
Buying a steel ss/fixed in cph when I should have got a three speed sit-up-and-beg mobile more in keeping with the style of cycling here.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Buying the wrong size bike ( on the advice of an unscrupulous seller) when I first took up cycling.

WelshJon

-Building a high spec mountain bike without realizing the effort it takes to actually go mountain biking, compared to riding straight out the door with the road bike. Have been thinking of buying a small van to make, and convince myself to go, surely another mistake waiting to happen.

-Buying a racy geometry bike
-Buying lots of cheap gear, instead of investing in 1-2 bits of higher quality kit.

-Thinking that all groups are 20mph avg. race heads
-Not taking advantage of great cycle routes I have locally, eg the gower peninsular and the brecon beacons.

mine is going from SPD cleats/pedals to SPD-SL. I have been trying to love my Look pedals all summer (and about 1500 miles) but for some reason I just can't get the hang of them. I just can't clip in quickly and accurately and have had a few little twitchy botty moments.

Have decided to give up on them. Might give Speedplays a go next summer, but on the winter steed it is back to SPD.
Went through exactly the same thing - back to SPDs

Padraig

At the age of eleven, allowing my mother to buy me a Moulton. It weighed a ton, and I could have had a really good lightweight for the 32 guineas it cost. Worst bike ever designed. Quite simply, in 1963, the bicycle was just about perfect and didn't need reinventing. I was at a grammar school at the time, and you can't imagine the derision as I had to run the gauntlet of other boys from the entrance gates to the cycle shelters. It was only the second or third Moulton to appear in the town. I think the reason behind the purchase was that my mother secretly wanted one. Well, she got mine in fairly short order. I swapped for her Phillips. Although it was a "girl's bike," it attracted less unfavourable comment from my schoolmates.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Throwing my first road bike into a skip when I moved out of my parents. I knew nowt about bike then and just wanted to clear out "clutter"

it was a beautiful Peugeot touring ad bike....which looked a lot like this. Almost identical in fact
064.jpg

Top Bottom