What's your biggest bike related mistake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
After riding fixed for a mumber of years (so very used to it) I rode 10 mile into a terrific headwind, I turned right out of the wind into a sheltered lane and immediately relaxed, it threw me off, resulting in damaged knee, split finger nail & dented confidence in riding a fixie.

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Not going disc braked sooner (road)

tyred

Legendary Member
Last winter's project - building an old 501 framed mountain bike with a Shimano 8 speed hub and dynohub, racks back and front, expensive German lights. I wanted an all-rounder. Truth is it cost a lot of money and I've hardly ridden it.

Not a bad bike really but I have other bikes that do specific tasks better...

Gixxerman

Guru
Spying a cheap Trek Madone 5.2 in the LBS window (about £1500 or so If I recall). Thought must be an old one that they can't get rid of or having a clearout. Too good to miss so in I went to buy it. Turns out the sticker price was just for the wheels. "Ah I see, thanks" (walks out with tail between legs and red face).

mustang1

Legendary Member
Buying a chain cleaner bath thingy; what a waste of money..
Dude, I bought three of them! They were all rubbish. Buuuuut that could be coz I was using muc off expandable degreaser/cleaner thingie, instead of the proper stuff. I was adamant I didn't want to waste money in a degreaser, but instead wasted it on more chain baths!

Its a bit like buying various gasoline cars, putting diesel in them, then wondering why all these modern cars suck.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Spying a cheap Trek Madone 5.2 in the LBS window (about £1500 or so If I recall). Thought must be an old one that they can't get rid of or having a clearout. Too good to miss so in I went to buy it. Turns out the sticker price was just for the wheels. "Ah I see, thanks" (walks out with tail between legs and red face).
Haha. Mrs Mustang caught me eyeing some wheels a few years ago. They were £3000 but she read it as £30.00 and said I should get them as they'll make my bike look real good. I told her for three grand theyll make my bike go like a bat outta hell.

Three grand? For wheels? Who the hell pays that for wheels! The car costs less than that!

Then I introduced her to cyclechat explaining at least half of the weridos here would happily pay for those wheels!

gavintc

Guru
I was new into road cycling and spotted a pair of cheap, light and aero wheels. After riding them for a couple of months, I realised that you can't get; cheap, light and aero. They flexed horribly and were nota good purchase.

Top Bottom