What's your biggest bike related mistake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Stopping cycling in my mid twenties & not starting again till my early forties :sad:
I made a similar mistake and all but quit cycling for several years, drank too much, ate badly, etc. When I started cycling again my health improved drastically, my blood pressure lowered, my weight dropped about 20%, my cholesterol lowered, and overall things improved. I love cycling. :smile:

sarahale

Über Member
Once on the way to LBS I went for a little extra ride. A guy was cleaning up a mountain of leaves and turns out the road was like sheet ice due to the gunky leaf residue left behind. I did not realise this, bike went one way and I went the other.

Turned up to bike shop with a broken derailer, glass in my hand and covered in manky leaf slime. The guy in the shop fixed up my bike whilst I went to the walk in to get all the glass removed.

Slick

Guru
Stopping cycling in my mid twenties & not starting again till my early forties :sad:

I think most of us will have a similar story to tell as our focus changed from enjoying life to trying to be successful in our work life, before finally realising life's way too short and we had the right idea the first time.

My wife has a great saying for dealing with niggling regret.

Don't go back as the person you are now.

Borrowing my mates 'brand new for Christmas' Raleigh Chopper in the 70's, riding on the pavement and straight into a car door that magically opened right in front of me. I went through the gap in the handlebars into the drivers window, resulting in a broken nose and collarbone. The bike was unrideable and I had to pay for the damage out of my hard-earned paper round. Hence from that day on, I've never ridden on a footpath

Slick

Guru
Borrowing my mates 'brand new for Christmas' Raleigh Chopper in the 70's, riding on the pavement and straight into a car door that magically opened right in front of me. I went through the gap in the handlebars into the drivers window, resulting in a broken nose and collarbone. The bike was unrideable and I had to pay for the damage out of my hard-earned paper round. Hence from that day on, I've never ridden on a footpath
I never broke any bones, but I do remember my feet slipping off those pedals and tearing the jewels on that gear stick. I think that's when my mum bought me my first racer.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I never broke any bones, but I do remember my feet slipping off those pedals and tearing the jewels on that gear stick.
When my mates and I were about 12, we had this crazy thing about mounting our bikes by running alongside and then vaulting into the saddle without touching the pedals (like the cowboys on the TV, I suppose). One misjudgement, and ... bloody hell, it hurt.

Alan O

Über Member
Similar here - 20 years
Oh, and my other big mistake other than neglecting cycling for 20 years was when I gave away my old Falcon cycle when I got a new one. I don't mind having given the bike away - it went to a friend who couldn't afford a bike and I was happy to help him. But I neglected to swap saddles, and I gave away my lovely old worn-in Brooks B17!

Top Bottom