What's your biggest repair bill?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What's a repair bill?

I've never entrusted my precious bike to anybody else to repair. Nearest I've ever come was when I bought an SLX chainset for the mountain bike and persuaded the shop mechanic to fit it. Cost: £100.

si_c

Guru
Mine was about £150 for a full service from Evans a couple of years ago. Prompted me to start doing my own maintenance where possible.

doog

I rode my tri cross into the ground over a number of years and spent £480 last year to fix and replace everything. It was either that or buy a new commuter.
Worth every penny.

as a Tricross owner im struggling to see how on earth you could run up a bill like that. Assuming Tiagra

Cassette £12.50
Chain £10
Chainset £45 -£60
bottom bracket £7.50
cables for brakes and gears plus shoes - £20...
Bar tape £5

£115

Bike stand £30 if you fancy DIY..plus tools for BB / cassette say £20 max

Bike shop to sort the gears out if you cant manage it -£20

paddypete

apart from the powder coat it cost me £250 to do my complete bike including racks and bags,if you do it yourself,part of the fun of cycling is fixing them,well it is for me

as a Tricross owner im struggling to see how on earth you could run up a bill like that. Assuming Tiagra

Cassette £12.50
Chain £10
Chainset £45 -£60
bottom bracket £7.50
Bar tape £5

£115

A full tiagra groupset costs approx £250 add to that the brakes, wheels tyres, tape etc etc. Does that satisfy you or would you like me to account for every penny. I'm afraid I don't have a receipt for you to scrutinize!

OP
OP
Turbo Rider

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember

Cassette £12.50
Chain £10
Chainset £45 -£60
bottom bracket £7.50
Bar tape £5

£115

I presume you get the parts from the internet?!? That can't be shop prices?!?!

doog

A full tiagra groupset costs approx £250 add to that the brakes, wheels tyres, tape etc etc. Does that satisfy you or would you like me to account for every penny. I'm afraid I don't have a receipt for you to scrutinize!

Youve been seen off then....The chances of you needing a new front and rear mech, brake calipers and levers as well as consumables ie chainset / chain , cassette, brake blocks cables etc is negligible/ incomprehensible..some of those are life long items.

I really hope your LBS didnt talk you into getting the whole lot done...thats why I keep clear of them and bought a bike stand and largely DIY....when I noticed local bike shops charging more than local garages I very quickly learnt to get my hands dirty.

Lexus dealerships charge less for major services^_^

Youve been seen off then....The chances of you needing a new front and rear mech, brake calipers and levers as well as consumables ie chainset / chain , cassette, brake blocks cables etc is negligible/ incomprehensible..some of those are life long items.

I really hope your LBS didnt talk you into getting the whole lot done...thats why I keep clear of them and bought a bike stand and largely DIY....when I noticed local bike shops charging more than local garages I very quickly learnt to get my hands dirty.

Lexus dealerships charge less for major services^_^
Might I suggest you read the whole thread you numpty. I decided to do it all rather than buy a new bike, you'd know that if you had bothered to read it all!

doog

Might I suggest you read the whole thread you numpty. I decided to do it all rather than buy a new bike, you'd know that if you had bothered to read it all!

You spent £480 on doing up a Tricross mate...thats LBS prices ...who's the numpty again ?

doog

Surely anyone is free to spend their money how they like?

Dont worry he let me know that via pm :blink:...I admit I was thrown by the post above mine mentioning shop prices, thought they guy had been fleeced on repairs . However the threads titled biggest repair bill, not biggest bike build bill. He replaced the lot, so in the spirit of the thread his replacement of nearly every part hardly constitutes a repair.

Top Bottom