What's your biggest repair bill?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Michael86

Cost me £150 and a severely damaged mtb from a lad at work who had bought it for £780 on the bike to work scheme and ridden it a couple of times. I rode it for 3 years or so then paid to upgrade it so all in all I've paid for the bike but upgraded everything in the process and I love it.
That's not too bad

That's not too bad
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=46338.0
This is the same bike. I genuinely love it. Full tiagra groupset, better brakes, wheels, tyres took those annoying centre brakes off, with the extra clearance gives the option of my ice tyres in winter. I ride it at the weekend if the weather's bad and during winter as well as commuting all year round. It's an all round belter. Won't be doing any tours this year but next year I'll be using this (used to use a sirrus but sold it when upgraded this one) .

Last edited:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
In the last two years of commuting, I've replaced two sections of mudguard (crud road racers don't like road debris).

However, I've got a big bill coming up, as I noticed the front brake blocks are almost worn down.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've had a bill over £200 but I can't remember everything it had done. Last one was £95 a couple of weeks ago but they only did the things I asked them to do. Noticed yesterday when some glass stuck in the wheel glistened in the sun that in poking it out that I think I could see the the layer below so I perhaps should have bought a new tyre too!

OP
OP
Turbo Rider

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I just cant take my bikes to lbs for repairs, the fixing is part of the fun for me..

breaks my heart paying for a service stamp for a bloody oil change on the car for waranty.

Probably aim to to it myself in future, but it's the first time everythings worn out, so wasn't exactly sure what I was doing...or even party...just loads of clunkety clunk going on and now I've had that diagnosed, fixed & sorted I'll know (or have a better idea, at least) where the horror show is coming from...first port of call now is a chain checking tool...first year cyclist over here! :shy:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Probably aim to to it myself in future, but it's the first time everythings worn out, so wasn't exactly sure what I was doing...or even party...just loads of clunkety clunk going on and now I've had that diagnosed, fixed & sorted I'll know (or have a better idea, at least) where the horror show is coming from...first port of call now is a chain checking tool...first year cyclist over here! :shy:
I think I started with the full service and now I feel happy to do the basics but I'm still learning, I took mine in after they spotted the disks had worn down badly (something I hadn't even thought to keep an eye on).

OP
OP
Turbo Rider

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I think I started with the full service and now I feel happy to do the basics but I'm still learning, I took mine in after they spotted the disks had worn down badly (something I hadn't even thought to keep an eye on).

Ha, ha, same here...went in thinking I needed a new gear cable and maybe a chain..."new cassette" he said..."how much?" I asked..."£40" he said, "but that will be an upgrade as well, so will last longer...but oh...your rings are worn too, so you'll need them fixed and a new upgraded crankset will work wonders and actually come in cheaper"...then I noticed my rear wheel had suddenly gone wonky when I was giving it a wash at the weekend and then the crusty cassette I still had on (because I was waiting for the crankset to arrive) lost engagement on the rear wheel during my ride to work...and to take the bike to the shop afterwards...a massively compounded effort, including ample sods law...so I went for a service as well...only £30 for the labour though and it looks as though the cassette was free and they popped new tubes on as well :smile: Bike looks happy anyway :smile:

When something goes wrong, my biggest expense is the cost of new components or the tools needed for the job. I like to do my own repairs where practical, being self sufficient in bike repairs is pretty important when it comes to bicycle being your main form of transport, plus it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when I have a mechanical failure and the next day I'm back out on the road with zero expense. It helps to have a back up bike while you're learning how to solve your problem, as it can be a bit frustrating getting your head around some issues.

I stopped using the LBS when I had them replace a broken spoke, I was charged £25 for a replacement and wheel truing. Shortly after I lost another spoke and realised that I could replace the spoke myself and true the wheel for the cost of the component, £1.50 plus a one off payment of £3.50 for a spoke key. It pays to learn to fix your own bike.

So far, my greatest tool expenditure is the rear alignment hanger from Park Tools (£45.99 on sale), so worth it as it has saved me some serious £££ in LBS fees. In the first 3 months of owning it, I've sorted my hangers 4 times (yes, lots of crashes!). At £20 a pop at the LBS, I'm £34.01 better off. Over the course of it's life it will save many hundreds of pounds. Why people are so lazy to get their bikes repairs at the LBS I will never know!

I haven't had to venture near the hubs or bottom bracket to service them yet, but I expect those will be another set of expensive tools, but again, investment pieces.

Last edited:

Sara_H

Guru
I've just spent £300 repairing my crashed damage Brompton, though that did include adding a rack.

OH spent around £250 last winter on a winter service and replacing his shock fork plus adding mudguards.

OP
OP
Turbo Rider

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
It amazes me just how many times I read here or other forums where someone takes a bike for a service and the chain rings are replaced by the shop. The only times in my life I've ever replaced a chain ring is to alter the gear ratios. I've never replaced one through wear in my life.

Oh bum. I will say though, that going from the FSA Tempo crankset to Sora is very noticably different. Never had such smooth changes between rings before, so I'm happy enough with it...lesson learned though :blush:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
The 72,000 mile service on my Alfa Romeo came to about £1200 in 2004 prices.

The man in the garage led me to believe that getting my GTV through the MOT was going to be just under £1k. I hummed and hahhed, because it was only worth a couple of grand and (as I had told him), I was considering getting rid of it for a Fiat Coupe, but I eventually said OK. When I got to the garage a few days later he presented me with a bill for £1950 - VAT and labour costs of course doubling the estimate he'd given me. After much discussion, I paid him, and he then said, that's a really nice car, if you ever want to sell it, give me a call. I said you can have it for £1950. He declined, of course. The garage was Cricklewood Cars. If you ever consider going there, I advise against it.

Worst I've had on a bike was £200 for a rebuild on a warranty frame replacement. I should have just chucked it in a skip like I should have done with the Alfa. Sometimes I don't make wise decisions.

Top Bottom