What's your daily job?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Director of a company helping property developers sell their wares. Spent most of Lockdown 1.0 designing furniture and marketing suites before getting back to building them. 35 in the team is a lot of mortgages to pay, but compared to my previous career in banking it's incredibly rewarding: we actually manufacture things and I can show the kids tangible stuff that we make and build when we're out and about.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Teacher and part-time Zoologist here in Asia.

classic33

Leg End Member
Shop Worker, owner went bust
Baggage Handler, Company taken over
Backroom Bod in a bank
Carpet Inlay Fitter
Welder, machine builder, machine setter, machine operator. Company went bust.

Also been a Sh*t Stirrer*, Sh*t Shoveller, Paid Agitator, Campsite Warden

*At times waste deep in other people's stuff, but usually farm livestocks.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I worked in IT for 25 years but got sick of making money for people who had got nothing but contempt for me.
I was going to go around the world this year but COVID put an end to that.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I parade myself, shout facts and occasionally blow/cut things up whilst groups of teenagers indulge me
Ahhh, children’s entertainer....

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
Day job is to try and keep people going for as long as possible, with a passing interest in bringing some 2020 IT tech into the NHS.

Absolutely love me job, wouldn't do anything else, but days like yesterday when see a former mentor who until 2 weeks ago was working on the front line as a colleague pass away on our ITU despite everyone efforts is not one of the good days :sad:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-55010909

Actually deciding to commute on the bike to work at the start of year pre COVID is probably the best decision I've made this year. Nothing quite clears the head like a 630am ride into work :smile:.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Day job is to try and keep people going for as long as possible, with a passing interest in bringing some 2020 IT tech into the NHS.

Absolutely love me job, wouldn't do anything else, but days like yesterday when see a former mentor who until 2 weeks ago was working on the front line as a colleague pass away on our ITU despite everyone efforts is not one of the good days :sad:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-55010909

Actually deciding to commute on the bike to work at the start of year pre COVID is probably the best decision I've made this year. Nothing quite clears the head like a 630am ride into work :smile:.
Are you a doctor or a nurse? (or have I completely misinterpreted what you said?)

gzoom

Über Member
Student of neuroscience. I've been drifting for months if not years. Thought about going to medical school after (GEM) but that's looking very unlikely at the moment.

Even if you have half a chance at medical school you really should go for it. Doing medicine instead of mechanical engineering at Uni was probably the best decision I made by accident at your age.

Its not a job though, it pretty much takes over life. I've worked nearly every Xmas or Newyears for the past decade, at the age of 35 both me and my wife was at the library writing up our respective PhD thesis on a sunny Sunday morning because we didn't have time mid week due to the day job.

I've had days at work when it makes an episode of ER/casualty look calm, including literally having my finger on someones beating heart!!

COVID wasn't in anyones plans, but I've been humbled by how so many people have pulled together. Seeing people walk out of hospital when you have seen them at death door is a rewarding feeling few people get to experience but am lucky enough to see nearly every day.

However telling a young family their mother is never going to be with again after an unsuccessful 1hr+ resuscitation effort is an experience I'll never forget, the fact literally 10 seconds after leaving the relatives room I was called to deal with another urgent situation helped at the time to distract but on reflection wasn't a great way to process any emotions.

For me medicine is the only job I have ever done or ever will do, but it really isn't just a job its pretty much part of life.

gzoom

Über Member
Delivery driver for Argos. FIrst job since knees failed, actually, was very lucky to get the job when I did. First lockdown started a week after. Felt embarrassed that people applauded me for being a "key worker". Didn't and don't feel I was.
I actually really enjoy this job.

Surely everyone one working through all this is a 'key worker'. I found the applause in the summer embarrassing, and far too premature, everyone is simply doing their job. There is a long winter ahead and everyone is going to have to do their bit, the vaccine cannot come quickly enough.

Top Bottom