What's your daily job?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to be a communications facilitator, now I am a semi skilled engineer assembling and testing turbo charges for Jaguar Land Rover. It pays the bills.

My last full time job was a self employed window cleaner,which i did for nearly 15 years. I now,or did up till the latest lockdown work part time in a retro(1920's to 1990's)clothing shop...and sometimes in the photographer's next door.
I suppose you gave it up because it was too panefull!

mikeIow

Guru
I worked in IT for 25 years but got sick of making money for people who had got nothing but contempt for me.
I was going to go around the world this year but COVID put an end to that.
IT for over 30 years, planning The Escape for next year....would have been this, but COVID made that slightly pointless, so took the “one more year” (OMY syndrome!) decision. I
I know a good few in the industry in their 50s who are a bit bored of it nowadays....but it has paid very well, considering most decisions aren’t life or death....#NoComplaints

lazybloke

Considering a new username
25 years in IT services - i get farmed out to customers in all manner of industry sectors- public, private and some international, and my job description changes each time.
Eg tech support, server builds, software and hardware deployments, technology migrations, data security and a whole load of project management.

Each assignment can be hours or years, so lots of variety.

The weird thing is i've not had my own desk in the office since the late 1990s.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
In today cleaning weld spatter off the robot cells , filthy job.

I’m a tax manager. I essentially help my company to optimise its tax position for the benefit of the company and its objectives. The role doesn’t involve any tax dodger activities at all, it’s just about structuring agreements in the right way to get the most effective position that we need; in some cases this involves exposing the company to tax as the commercial benefits are greater.

postman

Legendary Member
I started work in June 1966 in a shoe shop here in Leeds.After missing the World Cup,i was working,i got a five day a week office job British Relay a cable tv company .Then a painter and decorator ,to help my dad who had been very ill,and needed some muscle.Well that was a job going nowhere.So aged twenty one i got the opportunity to go in to international communications and security.After what i had been doing for the past five years it was an amazing job.I stayed for thirty four years.Aged seventy ,i am now a part time hygiene consultant,property management consultant and part time master chef.I also try to get out on my bike,to sample various coffee shops and do blind reviews.

Started as an apprentice boatbuilder in 1972 and finished on the yards 1979, then fitted out a steel motoryacht single handed for a private customer. Then worked for him for a couple of years fitting windows all over East Anglia, money was great but hated the work and constant driving. Then worked for a small company making solid Oak furniture. Then I setup on my own making anything at the start and gradually concentrated on kitchens, making everything in house. Also made organ cases, peddle boards and the stools for a small local company which for awhile was quite lucrative. But as the rise of the sheds and cheap kitchens came along we started buying one property at a time and totally renovating. I loved doing these even thought the work was physically punishing, had to learn so many different aspects of the various trades. One of which was hand cut roofing and I now occasionally help a builder friend if he has a difficult roof. Since 2016 I have only been able to work at odd times due to my wife having cancer, this changed all our plans.

Started out as an electricians apprentice and absolutely hated it so switched over to painting and decorating/plastering. quit my job in 83ish and became a semi pro musician doing the odd paint job to top up the cash flow. Moved to the US in 93 with a band and went back to painting and plastering as the music situation fell apart. Now working mostly as a paper hanger but work for a painting company on any Saturdays I have off, lousy money but it's a fun 40 mile round trip commute and gives me a little pocket money for the week. I sometimes love my job and sometimes hate it, I install for a couple of wallpaper contractors as well as having a few of my own clients and that suits me just fine as there is a freedom (lack of responsibility) which I wouldn't have with a regular job. I couldn't bear working at the same place for the same people all the time

Top Bottom