What's your daily job?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
I repair motorcycles for a living, 30% normal jobs and 70% repairing other people's fxxk ups. Amazingly it's always their "mates" who've worked on it last..

Had one today, took a front sprocket cover off and oil started leaking out of the engine (they'd used a bolt 20mm too long and managed to punch through a bind hole in the crankcase!).

Always interesting piecing the story together..

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
After a 15 year career in interweb marketing, I've spent the last five years stacking shelves at Aldi... no more sitting on my arse, staring at a screen, pushing a mouse and punching a keyboard, watching the day slowly ticking away.

These days I walk (rush) 12-14 miles a day, the time flies by, it keeps me fit, it keeps me thin, and tired and it's kept me going through 2020. :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
I gave up my air rifle which I used for rabbits as I would have to get a license for it here and too much hassle. In any case rabbits are pretty scarce now due to predation by big birds.
A knee jerk decision by some idiot govt. minister because they were being misused in towns and the media lapped it up.
Indeed, more people killed and seriously injured in scotland each year by...horses, but no moves to licence them. Im not entirely sure how it works but i think my shotgun licence would cover me for the air weapons were I loving north or the border again.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Indeed, more people killed and seriously injured in scotland each year by...horses, but no moves to licence them. Im not entirely sure how it works but i think my shotgun licence would cover me for the air weapons were I loving north or the border again.
Don't think your shotgun license would cover it and cannot remember the cost offhand but around the £50 mark for air rifle. I would also have to produce some evidence of where I intended to shoot which I could do as I have a country living pal who incidentally has or had a high powered air pistol for killing mink in traps. The hassle comes from townie cops with no experience of the legitimate use of such weapons in the countryside.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I repair motorcycles for a living, 30% normal jobs and 70% repairing other people's fxxk ups. Amazingly it's always their "mates" who've worked on it last..

Had one today, took a front sprocket cover off and oil started leaking out of the engine (they'd used a bolt 20mm too long and managed to punch through a bind hole in the crankcase!).

Always interesting piecing the story together..
I knew somebody who did furniture restoring. There was a a tv programme [can't remember the name] which encouraged people to do their own restorations. He said it was a great boost to his business repairing their snafus.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How do you spend your days now that you're retired? What does a day in your life look like?

It probably looks/is ACE !!!!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I knew somebody who did furniture restoring. There was a a tv programme [can't remember the name] which encouraged people to do their own restorations. He said it was a great boost to his business repairing their snafus.

Mmn, I get a fair influx of custom shortly after a 'grow your own' craze has waned.

When people discover its not quite as quick and easy as the telly progs might suggest..

Mmn, I get a fair influx of custom shortly after a 'grow your own' craze has waned.

When people discover its not quite as quick and easy as the telly progs might suggest..

Exactly.

I worked weekends through grammar school for my uncle who was a jobbing builder so I can do some jobs around the house as well as tradesmen e.g. painting/decorating, odd-jobbing and gardening.

But it takes me so long to do these jobs properly I could never dream of making a living out of it. Many years ago I fitted a new bathroom, including re-tiling (a friend did the copper pipe-work). It took over two months during which time me and my wife had to go to the leisure centre for our showers. My wife wasn't happy as my estimate was less than three weeks.

keithmac

Guru

Only thing that bothers me is how many people are riding around on deathtraps.

I fell out with a customer a long while back because I failed his bike on MOT due to brake discs worn out (to the point you could bend them with your fingers!), why would you even contemplate riding it in that condition.

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't think your shotgun license would cover it and cannot remember the cost offhand but around the £50 mark for air rifle. I would also have to produce some evidence of where I intended to shoot which I could do as I have a country living pal who incidentally has or had a high powered air pistol for killing mink in traps. The hassle comes from townie cops with no experience of the legitimate use of such weapons in the countryside.
It seems shotgun licence holders need only a co-terminus certificate for air weapons, which costs £5. My plans to move back home have been temporarily thwarted, so I'll have time to sort it.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Exactly.

I worked weekends through grammar school for my uncle who was a jobbing builder so I can do some jobs around the house as well as tradesmen e.g. painting/decorating, odd-jobbing and gardening.

But it takes me so long to do these jobs properly I could never dream of making a living out of it. Many years ago I fitted a new bathroom, including re-tiling (a friend did the copper pipe-work). It took over two months during which time me and my wife had to go to the leisure centre for our showers. My wife wasn't happy as my estimate was less than three weeks.

Yes,

Similar here, I've learnt to let go of certain jobs that others are far more able, and quick at.

Even though I could do them, but in three times the time, and effect half as good a job.

Polytunnel erection being one.

Getting that right first time is key to longevity of the structure.
And I know a fabulous Polish fellow, who does it splendidly

I do like to pride myself on being reasonably able in most fields required for my craft, but sometimes it's just quicker, and ultimately more economic to call in an expert..

Top Bottom