What's your discipline?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Dave5N said:
Bonj, a track bike isn't a road bike. Really, it isn't.
course it's a road bike. It can't exactly be ridden OFF road very well, can it? :smile:

Dave5N said:
Have you tried cyclocross? Or are you as usual speaking from a position of ignorance?
No but i've seen someone on (or should i say with - he was pushing it at the time) a cyclocross bike, and the grimace on his face told me he was in significant pain.

bonj said:
No but i've seen someone on (or should i say with - he was pushing it at the time) a cyclocross bike, and the grimace on his face told me he was in significant pain.

I've seen MTBers with a similar expression. And roadies, come to that. In fact, I've probably worn the same expression while touring.
It's irrelevant. People enjoy all types of cycling despite the fact that sometimes (and we all know this) it's no fun at all, whatever type of riding you're into.

bonj2

yes but he was WALKING with his bike at the time. he wasn't riding it, so he must have caned himself just from the rockiness of the path. If few more disused railway lines sring up, then a cyclocross bike may be worth it - but as it is, the range of terrain on which they're ideal is quite narrow and thus not that common in the uk.

Smeggers

bonj said:
course it's a road bike. It can't exactly be ridden OFF road very well, can it? :smile:

Being as track bike can not be ridden ON road, and a track is an OFF road track, then the opposite is true. Track bikes are off road bikes.

walker

Smeggers said:
Being as track bike can not be ridden ON road, and a track is an OFF road track, then the opposite is true. Track bikes are off road bikes.

ah yes..... and no

pzycoman

bonj said:

800px-Athens_velodrome.JPG

Well whats that then? Thats deffo not a road...

walker

I think people put track bikes and road bikes in the same bag. with a small change in components they can be road bikes very easily.

And the general concensus on off road bikes is a MTB bike

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Smeggers said:

i think the general definition of a road bike would cover such things as dropped handlebars and skinny tyres etc. hence the term "road bike" refers to its form factor. the "off road bike" form factor is typified by mountain bike styling (fat, knobbly tyres, suspension components etc).

calling a track bike an off road bike is akin to calling my car an off road vehicle when it's sat in the driveway.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
bonj said:
No, that isn't AKA discipline. Discipline doesn't just mean 'sort' of bike riding, with the scope to include anything you can think of - it's more a definite, distinct categorisation than that. This isn't a definition, because if it were it could yield false positives - but it may help if you are confused about what is a discipline and what is not, to ask yourself the question "do you get a certain type of bike for doing this?"

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

bonj - is this the most pointless and ill-informed argument you've ever started?

A discipline is a defined area of study or activity. It is defined by the action and activity not primarily by the technology involved. Therefore: track-riding, TT-ing, Road-racing, Club-riding, Commuting, BMX-racing, Trials, Downhilling, XC racing, Trail riding, Touring, and any number of other things can be considered 'disciplines' for the purposes of the (nice and friendly) discussion (not argument) here. You could even get more niche than that. The kind of bike on which you do these things has a more complex relationship with 'disciplines' - sometimes they come before, sometimes after.

Sometimes you need to understand that just because you 'don't get it', it doesn't mean it is wrong.

I think you came in the wrong door - Soapbox is that way ---->

Top Bottom