What's your discipline?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Could I enter a 'cross race on my tourer, if I took the racks and mudguards off and fitted the proper tyres?

Maz

Guru
Am I the only one who does it only to get to work and back?!
aint got time to be so self-indulgent as to do it at weekends for leisure (how the heck do y'all manage?)...way too many family/kids commitments, trips to asda and general bloke-type household duties.

Maz said:
Am I the only one who does it to get to work and back?!
aint got time to be so self-indulgent as to do it at weekends for leisure (how the heck do y'all manage?)...way too much family/kids commitments, trips to asda and general bloke-type household duties.

I used to commute on my bike, anywhere up to 25 miles each way. At the moment I'm stuck in a job 75 miles from home so my cycling has pretty much stopped as, like you, I don't get the time to go out at weekends any more. And I never really got into just pottering around the lanes for no reason other than riding - I have to be either going somewhere or taking part in an event.

Dave5N

Über Member
The West Mids League usually has two at Aldersley. The Wyre Forest one is probably nearest to you. Was at baggeridge country park this year - a fair way but a fantastic course.

Season has finished now, so plenty of time to get a few miles in first.

OK, when the season starts again (when is that, by the way?) I'll try and make an event or two. Baggeridge sounds good to me, and there's always the option of dropping into the Beacon Hotel for a beer afterwards.:ohmy:

bonj2

Dave5N said:
Bonj,

You really are showing your usual talent for combining ignorance with arsiness.

Firstly, the OP's intent was clear. He or she asked what sort of bike-riding (AKA what discipline) we did.
No, that isn't AKA discipline. Discipline doesn't just mean 'sort' of bike riding, with the scope to include anything you can think of - it's more a definite, distinct categorisation than that. This isn't a definition, because if it were it could yield false positives - but it may help if you are confused about what is a discipline and what is not, to ask yourself the question "do you get a certain type of bike for doing this?"

Dave5N said:
When you climbed on your high horse, you climbed on backwards. Since when, exactly, has track racing been a subset of road riding?
Because you do it on a certain type of ROAD bike! i.e. often a fixie.

Dave5N said:
And where does BMX fit in to your scheme? You didn't mention it, but it's an Olympic discipline. Pretty important.
It's not in the olympics actually, but yes you're right it is a discipline that I forgot to mention. It overlaps with freeride somewhat, but it is distinct enough to be a discpline in itself.

Dave5N said:
ANd what about cyclo-cross? Bigger sport than football in some countries. AH, but you think it's 'weird', don't you?
Yes, I suppose that's a discipline :thumbsup:

Dave5N said:
Is that 'cos you ain't up to it? :ohmy:
No you're damn right i'm not up to it (well that or can't be bothered with it ) - cyclocross is, imho, either boring or unhealthy, depending on how rough a trail you do it on.

Aint Skeered said:
Sorry should have worded the title differently, as it seems to have created a bit of confussion

Cycling, what floats your boat?
correct.

User said:
And you think, with your track record, that you do have the final say!

ROFLMAO!

It's not MY say, I'm not inventing these definitions, i'm just reminding you of the alread accepted split points of cycling into disciplines. It's you lot that keep trying to go creating your own disciplines, not me.

Top Bottom