What's your discipline?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

simonali said:
It is if you're doing it on a feckin' bike, you pedant!

it's something you do, but it isn't a discipline, a discipline is a TYPE of bike riding, possibly for which you might have a specific type of bike.

simonali

Guru
bonj said:
it's something you do, but it isn't a discipline, a discipline is a TYPE of bike riding, possibly for which you might have a specific type of bike.

Riding with friends to a pub and talking in a social manner as you go is "a type of bike riding", though, is it not? Your definition, not mine.

bonj2

No. The fact that you're with friends and going to the pub is completely unrelated to the fact that you're riding bikes.
You can comb your hair while riding your bike, it doesn't mean "combing" is a cycling discipline.

simonali

Guru
Leisure cycling was cited as an option in the original question, so it's perfectly fair game to include it! :rolleyes:

Stop being so anal.

bonj2

simonali said:
Leisure cycling was cited as an option in the original question, so it's perfectly fair game to include it! :rolleyes:

Stop being so anal.

The fact the original poster tried to define a discipline as an example doesn't mean he's the final say on what is and is not a 'discipline'.

Plax said:
Commuting & Leisure cycling.
I'd love to go on a touring holiday on the bike, stopping off at various campsites. That would be fun. Anyone done anything like that?

Yes, it's great fun. That was always my main interest. Used to do long distance commuting and Audax, as well as touring, then my commute distance gradually fell and now I do virtually no cycling, apart from an occasional 40 or 50 mile spin. :rolleyes: When I get a job a bit closer to home I'll start commuting again though ... I really miss it!

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Commuting, leisure, to and from the Thai Boxing club and University.

I don't do as many miles as I used to since I moved from London. i don't have a daily 15 mile minimum commute anymore.

Leisure, looks like it will be commuting in a few months as well... Would love to get into touring, just haven't found a victim to join me yet...

Dave5N

Über Member
Bonj,

You really are showing your usual talent for combining ignorance with arsiness.

Firstly, the OP's intent was clear. He or she asked what sort of bike-riding (AKA what discipline) we did.

When you climbed on your high horse, you climbed on backwards. Since when, exactly, has track racing been a subset of road riding?

I believe there was a clear distinction at least as far back as the 1880s - there'll be a hill-dodging historian along soon I'm sure to advise us.

And where does BMX fit in to your scheme? You didn't mention it, but it's an Olympic discipline. Pretty important.

ANd what about cyclo-cross? Bigger sport than football in some countries. AH, but you think it's 'weird', don't you?

Is that 'cos you ain't up to it? :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Aint Skeered

Aint Skeered

Sorry should have worded the title differently, as it seems to have created a bit of confussion

Cycling, what floats your boat?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
punkypossum said:
Leisure, looks like it will be commuting in a few months as well... Would love to get into touring, just haven't found a victim to join me yet...

Touring on your own is OK as well. There's something very liberating about setting off in the morning and not knowing where you're going to be sleeping that night.

Top Bottom