What's your discipline?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Rhythm Thief said:
That's fair enough. I don't enjoy MTBing, but I wouldn't just dismiss it out of hand.
i havent' 'dismissed' cyclocross, have I? I've recognised it as a discipline. I just said i don't think i'd enjoy it as it'd be either boring or too jolty and thus not healthy on either me or the bike..

Smeggers said:
Being as track bike can not be ridden ON road, and a track is an OFF road track, then the opposite is true. Track bikes are off road bikes.
Course it can be ridden on road. Why can't it?

walker said:
ah yes..... and no

walker said:
I think people put track bikes and road bikes in the same bag. with a small change in components they can be road bikes very easily.

And the general concensus on off road bikes is a MTB bike
exactly

alecstilleyedye said:
i think the general definition of a road bike would cover such things as dropped handlebars and skinny tyres etc.
a road bike doesn't have to have drop handlebars, but is just a bike that is mainly designed for riding only on roads. They generally have 700c wheels, and drop handlebars, but don't have to. They have to have skinny tyres, because if they have fatter tyres they can be ridden on canal towpaths etc, and thus don't fit the definition of a bike that can only be ridden on road - so therefore wouldn't be a road bike but would be a trekking bike/hybrid.
alecstilleyedye said:
hence the term "road bike" refers to its form factor. the "off road bike" form factor is typified by mountain bike styling (fat, knobbly tyres, suspension components etc).
correct.

alecstilleyedye said:
calling a track bike an off road bike is akin to calling my car an off road vehicle when it's sat in the driveway.
correct.
Flying_Monkey said:
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

bonj - is this the most pointless and ill-informed argument you've ever started?

A discipline is a defined area of study or activity. It is defined by the action and activity not primarily by the technology involved.
well, it's defined by all those things - the action/activity (which largely refer to the same thing) AND the technology - the to are inextricably intertwined.

Flying_Monkey said:
Therefore: track-riding, TT-ing, Road-racing, Club-riding, Commuting, BMX-racing, Trials, Downhilling, XC racing, Trail riding, Touring, and any number of other things can be considered 'disciplines'
commuting isn't really a 'discipline', as it could cover several other disciplines, e.g. road, MTB-ing (say if you're lucky enough to live on one side of a forest and work on the other), trekking.
'Club riding' isn't really a discipline, as such, as it's a parellelism of road riding.

Flying_Monkey said:
for the purposes of the (nice and friendly) discussion (not argument) here. You could even get more niche than that. The kind of bike on which you do these things has a more complex relationship with 'disciplines' - sometimes they come before, sometimes after.
eh? :wacko: :wacko:

Dave5N said:
And BMX Bonj? Olympic sport in your universe?

BMX has never been, is not, and never will be, in the olympics. I've never said it is.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
bonj said:
BMX has never been, is not, and never will be, in the olympics. I've never said it is.

The IOC Executive Committee decided on June 29th 2003, during their meeting in Prague, to include BMX ( Bicycle Motocross ) in the XXIX Olympics in Beijing, China Linky

bonj2

that's a bmx website, they would say that...i'll believe it when i see it. which probably won't happen as i don't watch the olympics.

bonj said:
that's a bmx website, they would say that...i'll believe it when i see it. which probably won't happen as i don't watch the olympics.
Right, you steaming nit. OFFICIAL OLYMPIC WEBSITE where it says (because I know how you can't ever be arsed to actually follow links and read stuff...:wacko:)
On 29 June 2003, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) decided to include BMX in the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China.
It will happen, amazingly, whether or not you watch it. Or are you going to argue that it's a Schrodinger Olympics and will only exist, or not, if you watch it?

Silly boy.

Dave5N

Über Member
Bet he's Sven Nys in a parallel universe...

bonj2

Chuffy said:
Right, you steaming nit. OFFICIAL OLYMPIC WEBSITE where it says (because I know how you can't ever be arsed to actually follow links and read stuff...:smile:)
It will happen, amazingly, whether or not you watch it. Or are you going to argue that it's a Schrodinger Olympics and will only exist, or not, if you watch it?

Silly boy.

ah, right, it's only just been put in. so it isn't actually one of the original olympic sports, it's just been allowed 'cos some bmx lobby group has probably offered china a bung to include it, and china being a third world country probably will have accepted it with glee. Anyhow, who makes the bmx track with its jumps and stuff? the chinese? it might be totally different from one olympics to the next, so the results are totally meaningless. it'll be out by the time it's in london, it's just been slotted into the china one for publicity.
same with mtbing - and another question, why are all the mtbers in the picture from chuffy's link on bikes with shoot suntour forks?

Keith Oates

Janner
bonj said:
ah, right, it's only just been put in. so it isn't actually one of the original olympic sports, it's just been allowed 'cos some bmx lobby group has probably offered china a bung to include it, and china being a third world country probably will have accepted it with glee. Anyhow, who makes the bmx track with its jumps and stuff? the chinese? it might be totally different from one olympics to the next, so the results are totally meaningless. it'll be out by the time it's in london, it's just been slotted into the china one for publicity.
same with mtbing - and another question, why are all the mtbers in the picture from chuffy's link on bikes with shoot suntour forks?
Do you know what the original olympic sports were!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's the IOC who decide which sports are included NOT the host nation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rikki

Legendary Member
bonj said:

The same argument could apply to the road race, as well as the marathon (an original Olympic sport in the context of the Modern Olympics) as well as many other events.

bonj2

Keith Oates said:
Do you know what the original olympic sports were!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's the IOC who decide which sports are included NOT the host nation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah but the host nation have the most ... clout, as it were.
original olympic sports? running, long jump, high jump, pole vault, swimming, discus, javelin, etc. even chris boardman style cycling hasn't been in for that long as it's only been going as long as bikes have been invented.

Keith Oates

Janner
bonj said:
original olympic sports? running, long jump, high jump, pole vault, swimming, discus, javelin, etc. even chris boardman style cycling hasn't been in for that long as it's only been going as long as bikes have been invented.

:biggrin:Bonj, are you for real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:

:smile: You don't say! And there was me thinking the chaps who painted vases just couldn't draw bicycles....

Keith - sadly, I think yes. Recently, I thought he'd come on a bit, he must be having a bit of a regress....

Top Bottom