What's your favourite bit of brutalist architecture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Quarry House isn't really Brutalist, but just a rather large building that sits ominously in its location, semi-jokingly referred to as the 'Kremlin' for a while when it was being built

Them again, when they were building the new Hospital in Wakefield (Pinderfields), the lift-shafts, or that's what they appeared to be, as they towered over the old buildings, looked like Eastern Bloc gun-towers

View attachment 347281

Slip form cores is what we call them in construction. Generally where the lifts end up so not a bad guess

That's awful.
No it aint...have you ever been inside? Its a wonderful theatre, buildings are not just about what you see from the outside

Heres mine its Terragni..
search

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There is loads of it in Sheffield. Surprised no one has mentioned Park Hill flats which are currently being converted into trendy flats

Lots in Sheffield has gone. Norfolk Park's gone. Kelvin went years ago. Huge, huge numbers of arguably brutalist buildings have been reclad the last 5-10 years.

A new generation of insane supertall buildings that may be regarded as just as bad one day are being built every year.

Wasn't Harold Holt the Prime Minister, who ran into the sea' never to be seen again?
Yup. I may have mentioned that before, once or twice ....
You know, urine isn't the worst thing in a pool (ignoring picnic bars which are a shut down event in any pool, but only happens in "hilarious" comedies from the seventies).

I learnt to swim at the Harold Holt Memorial Pool. The outdoor pool was fine, but the indoor pool was slimy. I always assumed that was fat from the sloughed off skin cells of swimmers dissolved in the tepid water.

A few dozen litres of sterile kiddy urine seems benign in comparison.

But then, naming a swimming pool after a recently drowned Prime Minister is probably the epitome of poor taste.

To be fair, Australia has form in this regard. In 1967, current Prime Minister Harold Holt went swimming in treacherous surf and disappeared. Apparently he was advised by his doctor not to swim due to a shoulder injury.

Amusing fact: I learnt to swim at the Harold Holt memorial swimming pool

View attachment 287210

Top Bottom