What's your favourite bit of brutalist architecture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
ahh, the Tricorn!
As a kid, growing upon the Isle of Wight, a 'treat' would be to head to Portsmouth for a day of shopping. Bacon butty at the market in the Tricorn to start the day off. What a hideous monstrosity it was!
I read somewhere about the architect, Rodney Gordon, who was alway very proud of his creations. Some detail here.
Have to say, on the whole, I am with Price Charles - hideous carbuncle, I think he called that one!
"Monstrous carbuncle..." and that was referring to the National Gallery extension IIRC.

...and who went on to build Poundbury - which tbf has many fine ideas (and which commands a premium because people want to live there), but which is a pastiche.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
"Monstrous carbuncle..." and that was referring to the National Gallery extension IIRC.

...and who went on to build Poundbury - which tbf has many fine ideas (and which commands a premium because people want to live there), but which is a pastiche.
Don't get me started... I'm surprised they don't employ actors wearing smocks with straws in their mouths to herd trained sheep and cows to wend their way down the residential streets to maintain that authentic village atmosphere.

All uphill

Still rolling along
A little bit of brutalist, maybe, in Taunton.
This college building has recently been cleaned up. It's a lovely building to be in, full of light and strong shapes.

Beautiful, but is it a Brutalist building?
I would say so, although some are more brutal than others.
The origins are interesting, The Bauhaus played a big part but split into various modernist styles. Marcel Breuer studied there in the early 1920's, for me he is the main brutalist, widely copied but with variable results as we have all seen! His buildings are really brutal but you don't feel as depressed visiting them, unlike with some of the crap stuff here.

Archie_tect

1960s detailing pushed the boundaries of what was possible... sadly some were abominable and none had any regard for thermal insulation and residents' long term comfort- so looking retrospectively few've matured well without significant intervention. The South Bank and the Barbican still look crisp but then anything should if you were to spend that much money making and maintaining it.

mikeIow

Guru

Maybe you're right.....
I read here he did refer to it as "a mildewed lump of elephant droppings".....

It is curious. When we visited Uni of Essex, it initially felt grotesque, a concrete apology for buildings....but over the brief time (for us, on visits!), I grew to really like it.
The Tricorn was ALWAYS ugly. I faintly recall it had an "army surplus" store (the kind of place a 10-15 year old would be excited to look around!) near the market....a perfect location. That store moved uptown a few years later.
The trouble with concrete is that no-one thinks what it will look like after a wet winter.....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I always liked this building in Kaliningrad when I used to travel there regularly, long abandoned as it started collapsing soon after it was occupied:
1604327866273.png

...and then there's Aylesbury....

1604327955689.png

If you put this Aylesbury council block in Kaliningrad, nobody would notice...they should be twinned....

1604328060669.png

1604328146666.png

Archie_tect

Le Corbusier's Unites inspired some awful LA copies which never captured the spirit of the originals, but then the sharp Mediterranean light made them look crisp in a way that the damp gloom of Croydon on a Tuesday could never match.

Top Bottom