What's your favourite bit of brutalist architecture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

All uphill

Still rolling along
Another shot of a cared for piece of Brutalism. This the college arts building in Taunton on a grey morning.

mikeIow

Guru
Not local, but I read Berlin Tegel airport is closing today.....the article mentions " the city will quickly come to miss the brutalist corners of Tegel"

We had several annual Corporate events in Berlin a few years back, and one finale evening was hosted at Templehof airport. A beautiful edifice (turned into an immigration centre the following week!).
Also flew in to Tegel each time - fairly average brutalism, plenty of steel and glass from inside.....

Gunk

Guru
As a kid I remember walking through Weston Favell Shopping Centre in Northampton accessed via it's futuristic tubular pedestrian walkways. It was modernised and revamped in 2014 and although much nicer, it's lost its stark 1970's brutalist charm.

Here it is back in 1974, The Ford dealership in the foreground has now been demolished is now a supermarket, the tubes have also now gone.

mikeIow

Guru
As a kid I remember walking through Weston Favell Shopping Centre in Northampton accessed via it's futuristic tubular pedestrian walkways. It was modernised and revamped in 2014 and although much nicer, it's lost its stark 1970's brutalist charm.

Here it is back in 1974, The Ford dealership in the foreground has now been demolished is now a supermarket, the tubes have also now gone.

View attachment 557086
Good shout!
Biggest Tesco in Europe at one point, I believe.....I studied at Nene College, Northampton in the early 80s: played squash out at WFC as well as doing a little karate there for a short while (whilst living on Welly road...)
That & the bus station (mentioned earlier) were pretty ghastly buildings (IMHO!) - brutalist for sure!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Good shout!
Biggest Tesco in Europe at one point, I believe.....I studied at Nene College, Northampton in the early 80s: played squash out at WFC as well as doing a little karate there for a short while (whilst living on Welly road...)
That & the bus station (mentioned earlier) were pretty ghastly buildings (IMHO!) - brutalist for sure!
Preston bus station?...

It's a thing of beauty!
e045117f703e46a312419325044b7421.jpg

d79ecefa9598fed303fd681ae3eedf83.jpg

Gunk

Guru
IMO the boldest piece of Brutalist architecture in Northampton was Barclaycard House a 1960's vision of a utopian future, now sadly demolished.

The vehicles seem strangely old fashioned in comparison.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
IMO the boldest piece of Brutalist architecture in Northampton was Barclaycard House a 1960's vision of a utopian future, now sadly demolished.

The vehicles seem strangely old fashioned in comparison.

View attachment 557130
Yes! The old-fashioned appearance of the vehicles in photos of Brutalist buildings shows just how fresh and modern they were when built.

I think that's a good thing, but I know some people would like us all to go back to living in tiny, dark wooden boxes.

Another recently demolished - Crewe Works

The tall wall rendered the street rather gloomy but was noteworthy because they painted silhouettes of windows and doors on the brickwork during the war to confuse the Luftwaffe into thinking it was housing.

Unfortunately for residents on the road the removal of one eyesore revealed something worse!

Top Bottom