What's your favourite bit of brutalist architecture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeIow

Guru
Owen Luder obituary
Architect who gave Britain some of its best-known brutalist buildings, including the car park that features in the cult film Get Carter died today.

~The Times link ~
& a non-paywall link - https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/owen-luder-britains-unluckiest-architect-dies-aged-93

Some good shots of the Tricorn Centre here: reminds me of the late 70s: growing up on the IOW, it would be a great to head to Portsmouth (or Southampton) for a day out….the market was under the Tricorn, I do remember it broadly appearing pretty grim….yet those shots do remind us how “stylish” the design was (like it or not…)

RIP

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
He was in a small 'club' of architects who have had their buildings demolished within their own lifetime.

RIP, maybe within a Brutalist mausoleum.

Edit Thanks for the better link @mikeIow

Last edited:

JBGooner

Über Member
View attachment 308542

this lovely bit of gothic architecture was replaced by

View attachment 308543

in 1967, which was then replaced by

View attachment 308544

in 1995 .

I worked on the horrible 1960s block when i was an apprentice spark doing alterations in the early 90s , then again after the new facade had been built.

lots more info on the destruction of the old nmarket hall here http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/market.html

I shall no doubt be able to post a piucture of the new bus station on Gorse stacks which resulted in the destruction of a fine pub called " the ship Victory"

I'd vote for the top one.

JBGooner

Über Member
10199874005_b2a29c91e0_b.jpg

Definitely designed by someone who hates people. Why was this allowed to happen?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
St Peter's Seminary at Kilmahew near Cardross, Dunbartonshire. Been derelict for some years now but apparently is to be rejuvenated. Have not seen it since about 1960ish and have a picture somewhere but apparently of great architectural merit.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Found one pic so far of St. Peter’s Seminary, Cardoss.
Very important note. The emphasis is on the first part of Cardross. You can get lynched for getting it wrong.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
& a non-paywall link - https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/owen-luder-britains-unluckiest-architect-dies-aged-93

Some good shots of the Tricorn Centre here: reminds me of the late 70s: growing up on the IOW, it would be a great to head to Portsmouth (or Southampton) for a day out….the market was under the Tricorn, I do remember it broadly appearing pretty grim….yet those shots do remind us how “stylish” the design was (like it or not…)

RIP
RIP, but the Tricorn was horrible. End of.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Get Carter car park in Gateshead wasn't especially ugly as car parks go.

I think its problem was being on an elevated site, and on stilts, which meant it dominated the skyline.

Seems to me the town planners should have seen that coming.

Top Bottom