What's your favourite bit of brutalist architecture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have a new favourite. Seen near Clapham Junction. I like the roof patio.

building.jpg

Is Preston bus station brutalist architecture?

Is Preston bus station brutalist architecture?
yes very definitely - it's great - and very functional - the council of course tried to knock it down pretty recently.

A spectacular piece of planning ahead - after all these years they are now i think only using one side of it.

(only prob with it is it's nowhere near the train station)

You just wouldn't want to live there!
I've been in its sister tower - Balfron - views are great - good room dimensions many in today's rabbit hutches would welcome.

Wiki says it's difficult for pedestrians to get into. Written by someone who had never been there. From town centre there's a shopping centre and from there you walk straight up into he middle of it via a walkway. Plus two other pedestrian underpasses as well. Easier than lancaster bus station and Blackburn iirc.

When I used it buses used both sides and a lot of movement too. The bays at each end tended to be spares for parking up at. Now with changes in the city centre less people go to the bus station. Not so in my day.

Not near the train station? That's a common thing in that area I think. Blackburn train station is a walk away from the buses too. Not a problem ime as bus users and train users aren't the same people back when I got the bus. It's not like Preston was an integrated city.

I've never seen it looking that nice MV. Was that when new, post refurbishment or have you done some photoshop jaggery pokery?

It was also known for being a suicide hotspot. My dad, when he worked in his company's office in Preston and parked there, used to be late because of another suicide.

Not near the train station? That's a common thing in that area I think. Blackburn train station is a walk away from the buses too. Not a problem ime as bus users and train users aren't the same people back when I got the bus. It's not like Preston was an integrated city.
odd argument - never done a trip by bus and train? Not everywhere has a train station, especially up north.
Centre for buses in blackburn used to be the Boulevard of course, right outside the train station, until the council and cathedral farked that up with their redevelopment plans. So cack-handed were they that for a fair old while blackburn folk had a bus station that was a windswept car park.
Blackburn council should be shot for the way they've mucked around with it over the last few decades.
Wouldn't be to surprised if they flatten it all again in the next 20 years.

Top Bottom