What's your favourite bit of brutalist architecture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We had one in Chester, not the finest moment of the 'international style' ^_^

Back on topic, another favourite of mine is The Met Breuer in New York, visited it several times, its full on brutalism but great architecture.

Sadly it closed for good in June this year, so glad I got to visit now.

clid61

Veteran
Soviet Bus Stops

Eziemnaik

Über Member
View attachment 78456
Took this photo in Southampton. I think I had put the camera in room lighting mode, which made it come out a bit blue. I like it; it could make a good album cover, probably of a punk or new-wave band.
Wyndham Court in the very same Southampton, has always seemed to me as disturbingly handsome building
Also, the Towers when going towards Netley and Hythe are rather interesting, almost Eastern European in style
wyndham-court-southampton-united-kingdom-1966-CCD8T9.jpg

4099ec5c85c1c16f958d01773fd3b5c0.jpg

Last edited:

mikeIow

Guru
Not read all this thread, so apologies if this is repeating others words....but our son went to Uni of Essex for his degree, starting 2014. It was celebrating it‘s 50th year, with a “Something Fierce” exhibition all about the brutalist architecture.

The entire campus is a dichotomy: the mass of concrete plazas in the centre, bringing the social and learning blocks together, adjoining The Towers brooding 15+ story accommodation blocks built of dark blue engineering bricks.
He was on the 12th floor of one of the towers for his first year, with a corner room....with views from one (small!) window down to the concrete of the centre, the other looking out to beautiful parkland!

I really quite liked the place, and I think he did too!
FE545640-D709-4BEF-AB73-287C616B89AC.png

1BAC6CAC-61E1-442A-8C07-E82169DA4861.png
E0F68F03-F4D6-472F-8037-E7BEF5CF8A87.png

Quite a stunning place to learn, if you like that sort of thing!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

mikeIow

Guru
It's a 'Stalin Tower' of which there are many in Moscow (The Seven Sisters), one is a hotel now....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Sisters_(Moscow)

Hardly a 'Brutalist' building....
True

You can have a virtual campus tour for Essex at https://www1.essex.ac.uk/virtual-tours/colchester - they make it look quite nice in the sunshine :laugh:

& here is a view down - you can see the mix of concrete and greenery!
Essex.jpg

They originally planned for 20 of those HUGE towers....but the rebellious radical students in the 60's put the Government off investing more, so ended up with just the original ones!

Last edited:

mikeIow

Guru
UEA, twinned with UniofEssex! Both built early 60s.
That is a stunning accommodation block.

mikeIow

Guru
ahh, the Tricorn!
As a kid, growing upon the Isle of Wight, a 'treat' would be to head to Portsmouth for a day of shopping. Bacon butty at the market in the Tricorn to start the day off. What a hideous monstrosity it was!
I read somewhere about the architect, Rodney Gordon, who was alway very proud of his creations. Some detail here.
Have to say, on the whole, I am with Price Charles - hideous carbuncle, I think he called that one!

Top Bottom