What's your favourite bit of brutalist architecture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Its reputation is probably undeserved, but I still wouldn’t want to live there.
The arrival of the new Elizabeth line will hopefully improve its fortunes.
Thamesmead 1970's
2362.jpg

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Its reputation is probably undeserved, but I still wouldn’t want to live there.
The arrival of the new Elizabeth line will hopefully improve its fortunes.

...as will £300m, I don't doubt :smile:

It was by birthday yesterday and the family asked what would I like to do, so it was a trip to the Barbican. If you are in to Brutalism it is a must see. Fantastic place to visit and the Barbican Centre and Kitchen is a great place to eat and just take in the atmosphere of what is arguably one of the finest pieces of post war development in the UK, it’s all beautifully preserved and breathtaking beautiful. The weather for our visit yesterday was perfect.

View attachment 673304

View attachment 673305

View attachment 673306

View attachment 673307

This is attractive in your eyes?

I actually liked early Poundbury, for one I worked on it temporarily in 1994. Such a lovely area as well.
Not sure how the later phases have worked out though?
I'm sure prices are well out of most peoples reach now, which is the biggest shame.

Brains

Legendary Member
The fact that Thamesmead is currently in the middle of a £300million face lift probably answers your question.
Most of the brutal architecture has gone now.

I rest my case M'Lord.

Thamesmead's brutalist architecture has barely lasted 40 years.
Some of the residents now being moved out are the one and only ever resident of the property.

Poundbury has already lasted 25 years, and is still being slowly extended.
I very much doubt there will be any redevelopment there this century (excluding disasters).

Gunk

Guru
This is attractive in your eyes?

Yes, I love it

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It was by birthday yesterday and the family asked what would I like to do, so it was a trip to the Barbican. If you are in to Brutalism it is a must see. Fantastic place to visit and the Barbican Centre and Kitchen is a great place to eat and just take in the atmosphere of what is arguably one of the finest pieces of post war development in the UK, it’s all beautifully preserved and breathtaking beautiful. The weather for our visit yesterday was perfect.
Friend of a friend is lucky enough to live there. It's a great place.

Mr Celine

Discordian
20230128_162453[1].jpg

Peter Wormersley's magnificent stand at Gala Fairydean Rovers' Netherdale ground. Now back in use after a two year restoration and repairs to spalling concrete.

As originally built there was an open gap between the roof and the back of the seating area which allowed north-westerley gales and rain to blow through and soak the three men and a dog who normally watch the 'Dean. The club soon filled in the gap with advertising hoardings.

As it's a Grade A listed building the repairs had to restore it to its original design and once more the roof appears to float above the rest of the structure.
Thankfully the planners allowed the gap to be filled with a glass screen which keeps the fans dry.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
View attachment 676124
Peter Wormersley's magnificent stand at Gala Fairydean Rover's Netherdale ground. Now back in use after a two year restoration and repairs to spalling concrete.

As originally built there was an open gap between the roof and the back of the seating area which allowed north-westerley gales and rain to blow through and soak the three men and a dog who normally watch the 'Dean. The club soon filled in the gap with advertising hoardings.

As it's a Grade A listed building the repairs had to restore it to its original design and once more the roof appears to float above the rest of the structure.
Thankfully the planners allowed the gap to be filled with a glass screen which keeps the fans dry.

That's fantastic. I did a bit of searching and reading. I've put a fly-around video below. Unfortunately it's covered in scaffolding but it does let you see from above how the wedge is constructed.

View: https://youtu.be/jXZuLSgp1Vs

Posted by the people who did the concrete repairs https://www.centuragrp.net/v4/Netherdale.html

PK99

Legendary Member
View attachment 676124
Peter Wormersley's magnificent stand at Gala Fairydean Rovers' Netherdale ground. Now back in use after a two year restoration and repairs to spalling concrete.

ie a design failure. More sculpture than functional building!

Top Bottom