What's your favourite bit of brutalist architecture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The Old Seminary at Cardross, Dunbartonshire. A very early example but abandoned and overgrown the last time I saw it many years ago. I think it has been cleaned up and is now a protected building I believe but not been in that area recently.

You've posted about it a couple of times. Some optimism but no action, seemingly:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Peter's_Seminary,_Cardross

All uphill

Still rolling along
I like this tower in Bristol.

These distinctive buildings give our cities variety; I'm not fond of the pretty postcard look.

20221129_113746.jpg

robjh

Legendary Member

I used to go to Birmingham quite a bit and have ridden down Navigation Street many times, right past the 1960s New Street signal box, and am ashamed to say I never even noticed it was there. It doesn't advertise its function from the street, and if I saw it at all I would have just classed it with other stark and forbidding blocks that didn't interact with life at street level, of which there are many in that area.

That is not to dispute its artistic merits on its own terms, or its historical interest, but this style was called brutalist for a reason.

Gunk

Guru
It was by birthday yesterday and the family asked what would I like to do, so it was a trip to the Barbican. If you are in to Brutalism it is a must see. Fantastic place to visit and the Barbican Centre and Kitchen is a great place to eat and just take in the atmosphere of what is arguably one of the finest pieces of post war development in the UK, it’s all beautifully preserved and breathtaking beautiful. The weather for our visit yesterday was perfect.

630F1DA7-8675-40EE-88A0-703537E56CFF.jpeg

6F85C5B6-FED6-4CD6-AE0D-267C4E9FE029.jpeg

15C6FFC2-0BBB-4A2C-AE52-566F9E5990C9.jpeg

748993A2-72A8-46D2-9838-B06DFC487742.jpeg

It was by birthday yesterday and the family asked what would I like to do, so it was a trip to the Barbican. If you are in to Brutalism it is a must see. Fantastic place to visit and the Barbican Centre and Kitchen is a great place to eat and just take in the atmosphere of what is arguably one of the finest pieces of post war development in the UK, it’s all beautifully preserved and breathtaking beautiful. The weather for our visit yesterday was perfect.

View attachment 673304

I went to school here (City of London School for Girls) for eleven years between 1982 and 1993... That's the building behind the triangular bit of concrete in the right of frame, on the other side of the lake. The tower of St Giles Cripplegate church is just behind.

On the left of frame, you've the Guildhall School of Music & Drama.

P.S. happy Cake Day for yesterday @Gunk :birthday:

Gunk

Guru
I went to school here (City of London School for Girls) for eleven years between 1982 and 1993... That's the building behind the triangular bit of concrete in the right of frame, on the other side of the lake. The tower of St Giles Cripplegate church is just behind.

On the left of frame, you've the Guildhall School of Music & Drama.

P.S. happy Cake Day for yesterday @Gunk :birthday:

We looked over the school whilst eating our lunch

Top Bottom