What's your favourite bit of brutalist architecture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We looked over the school whilst eating our lunch

I don't have terribly good memories of the place, but it was definitely an interesting place to be in and around. Especially when you look down from the walkways to see the old Roman architecture.

All uphill

Still rolling along
That is not to dispute its artistic merits on its own terms, or its historical interest, but this style was called brutalist for a reason.
Called brutalist because of the use of " beton brut", meaning raw concrete.

Some brutalist building can appear a bit brutal, but others, imo, are joyous in their apparent simplicity and harmonius proportions.

That seminary at Cardross for example.

Brains

Legendary Member
Personally, in general with all Brutalist architecture, it's a shame they did not get an architect involved right from the start.
No one, even in a couple of hundred years time, will ever call these structures "beautiful".
I suspect in a couple on hundred years time, they will presume it was put together on the cheap at a time of austerity.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Personally, in general with all Brutalist architecture, it's a shame they did not get an architect involved right from the start.
No one, even in a couple of hundred years time, will ever call these structures "beautiful".
I suspect in a couple on hundred years time, they will presume it was put together on the cheap at a time of austerity.

I'm sorry you feel that.

th-4030956742.jpg

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

Er, architects were involved from the outset. It's as valid a style as any, albeit more divisive than most. I'd still very much rather this than some of the awful pastiches one sees. Poundbury anyone?!

Brains

Legendary Member
Er, architects were involved from the outset. It's as valid a style as any, albeit more divisive than most. I'd still very much rather this than some of the awful pastiches one sees. Poundbury anyone?!

Seriously ?

Q: Would you prefer to live in Poundbury or Thamesmead ?
(You may substitute for any brutalist large housing estate)

If I was tasked with building a large estate today, I'd start with Poundbury as a basis and then try to improve it.
It was not an accident that Clockwork Orange was filmed in Thamesmead.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Seriously ?

If I was tasked with building a large estate today, I'd start with Poundbury as a basis and then try to improve it.

I think you're answering a different point to the one I made :smile:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Seriously ?

The fact that Thamesmead is currently in the middle of a £300million face lift probably answers your question.
Most of the brutal architecture has gone now.

Burn the heretic!!!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I know little of Thamesmead beyond a perception it has been something of a 'sink' estate for some long while?

Its reputation is probably undeserved, but I still wouldn’t want to live there.
The arrival of the new Elizabeth line will hopefully improve its fortunes.

Top Bottom