What's your favourite bit of brutalist architecture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I think they are fighting a losing battle! Its an amazing house to visit but I went before the restoration and the smell of damp was overpowering, you couldn't live in it.
Maybe the $11+ million spent doing it up sorted that out?

It's called "Fallingwater" but maybe Risingdamp would have been more appropriate.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Yup - cracking spot!
Our son studied there for a year during his degree - we had a couple of trips out, loved the City!
That museum is very cool, with the Roman remains outside:

I would like to return to Lyon, Ms P and I planned to stay there a week but we arrived during a 'canicule' and it was unbearable (except within the Gallo-Romain museum!), also it wasn't the best time to go because music venues were closed or not doing much during the summer holiday-- we left after two days and took a couple of trains up to Lille where it was somewhat cooler.

mikeIow

Guru
I would like to return to Lyon, Ms P and I planned to stay there a week but we arrived during a 'canicule' and it was unbearable (except within the Gallo-Romain museum!), also it wasn't the best time to go because music venues were closed or not doing much during the summer holiday-- we left after two days and took a couple of trains up to Lille where it was somewhat cooler.

We spent almost 3 weeks there in total…..loved it!
The old city is gorgeous….some fabulous eateries (veggie son, so we found some cool veggie spots too)….many, many great murals all over the place…..fabulous museums (including a very cool modern one at the confluence of the Rhône & the Saône). So much history!
Do it!

Blackpool's magistrates court

_132349217_14379b2c-9de9-4801-937e-453da780360c.jpg

Adam4868

Guru
It’s not exactly Preston bus station
Agreed....although there are similarities...the smell of urine being the obvious !
Spent time in each when younger.... probably have happier memories of the bus station to be fair 🙄

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
I forgot to inform this threads viewers that Warrington's Brutalist building was demolished last year.

Is it always easier for an Architect to construct a new building with off the shelf plans, than to repurpose an existing building?

p1190658-jpg.jpg

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
We spent almost 3 weeks there in total…..loved it!
The old city is gorgeous….some fabulous eateries (veggie son, so we found some cool veggie spots too)….many, many great murals all over the place…..fabulous museums (including a very cool modern one at the confluence of the Rhône & the Saône). So much history!
Do it!
Well done for finding vegetarian eateries. Always 'fun' in France.

Stayed in Lyon once. I remember one vegetarian restaurant that we went to. All a little bit too "worthy", rather than good honest food. And the apple crumble was well short of my expectations. They failed to remove the hard bits in the apple core which ruined the whole eating experience.

mikeIow

Guru
Well done for finding vegetarian eateries. Always 'fun' in France.

Stayed in Lyon once. I remember one vegetarian restaurant that we went to. All a little bit too "worthy", rather than good honest food. And the apple crumble was well short of my expectations. They failed to remove the hard bits in the apple core which ruined the whole eating experience.

It was a battle….he lived there a year, & I think survived mostly on veg pizzas & a vege Taco Lyonnais - the French love their meat, & Lyon prides itself on it!

Le Limonade Marionette was good enough to visit twice….
Another spot looks to now be permanently closed (it was a few years ago).

Top Bottom