What's your favourite bit of brutalist architecture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
This isn't a favourite but I went past these the other day and thought it's one of the most brutal brutalist buildings. Nuclear power stations in North Wales.

trawsfynydd.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Turns out it had the same architect as this place, thought bits looked familiar View attachment 347189

Designed by the makers of Lego?

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the DWP building in central Leeds, near the Market
Quarry House
Is that Brutalist? It's built too late to be part of the movement, and just doesn't seem to have any of the hallmarks of brutalism. It's monumental and possibly post modern, but I don't think it's brutalist.

Googling Quarry House and Brutalism doesn't turn up much either.

robjh

Legendary Member
I came across this thread again in a café this morning, then shortly afterwards found myself riding past this
20170413 Baldock-Biggleswade ride (9).JPG

In Arlesey, Beds. It's hardly an outstanding specimen, but is an example of fairly run-of-the-mill functional British commercial building in the 1970s(?).

Haitch

Flim Flormally
I'm going to The Fountainhead tonight!

Well that was a complete and utter turkey.

Is that Brutalist? It's built too late to be part of the movement, and just doesn't seem to have any of the hallmarks of brutalism. It's monumental and possibly post modern, but I don't think it's brutalist.

Googling Quarry House and Brutalism doesn't turn up much either.
Quarry House isn't really Brutalist, but just a rather large building that sits ominously in its location, semi-jokingly referred to as the 'Kremlin' for a while when it was being built

Them again, when they were building the new Hospital in Wakefield (Pinderfields), the lift-shafts, or that's what they appeared to be, as they towered over the old buildings, looked like Eastern Bloc gun-towers

379193_10200154160289020_2063851120_n.jpg

Is that Brutalist? It's built too late to be part of the movement, and just doesn't seem to have any of the hallmarks of brutalism.
Fair enough.

But - 'More recently, "brutalism" has become used in popular discourse to refer to buildings of the late twentieth century that are large or unpopular – as a synonym for "brutal."' And "brutal" most certainly fits. Partly for the architecture, but maybe more so for what goes on inside.

Bit like the Mugamma in Cairo - similarly intimidating and daunting.

Top Bottom