What's your favourite Seagal or Van Damme film?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
If you are into your martial arts filums check out the IP man series

Donnie Yen is IP Man, it's strange to see him in any other film!.

They did a couple of spin offs but I've only given time to the 4 with Donnie in them.

Took a while to work out how to get the English soundtrack on Netflix, watched the first on or two with subtitles first time round..

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Donnie Yen is IP Man, it's strange to see him in any other film!.

They did a couple of spin offs but I've only given time to the 4 with Donnie in them.

Took a while to work out how to get the English soundtrack on Netflix, watched the first on or two with subtitles first time round..
I watched them all before working out that you could do that. 😂

And in other martial arts news, I found Fists of Fury on Prime earlier.

Some of those later ones are proper ropey, I saw a couple of them where he even had a love interest, usually a young woman who he saved from the bad guy.

The trouble is they were young enough to be his daughter, and watching them together was a bit stomach churning.

There's one of those where he has a love scene with them, but he remained fully clothed and sat down whilst this poor woman had to covort on him🤮

Then there's another where the plot was apparently changed after they started filming and instead of him fighting soldiers on Performance enhancing drugs they are all aliens now👽He might have quit that one halfway through so it all reused footage to finish it lol

I need to look up the names of these, they really are fun in a how bad can it be way.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I wonder who @Cletus Van Damme prefers? 🤔

I don't think I've watched a Van Damme film man. I've watched one Seagal film, Nico. This was when it came out, and I liked it. I couldn't imagine watching it now. Everybody to their own though. I don't watch many action films now, if I was it would be something like Con Air or Starship Troopers. Something slightly daft, but it is made to be like that, and is good. Whether Seagal's or Van Dammes films don't take themselves too seriously I wouldn't know. Banshee was really good as a TV series for not too serious action, slightly cheesy etc.

Nico.

I don't think I've watched a Van Damme film man. I've watched one Seagal film, Nico. This was when it came out, and I liked it. I couldn't imagine watching it now. Everybody to their own though. I don't watch many action films now, if I was it would be something like Con Air or Starship Troopers. Something slightly daft, but it is made to be like that, and is good. Whether Seagal's or Van Dammes films don't take themselves too seriously I wouldn't know. Banshee was really good as a TV series for not too serious action, slightly cheesy etc.

Nico.
Starship Troopers is a solid gold but much misunderstood classic. Many reviewers thought that because it features copious amounts of cheese and lots of good looking fascism, it was a cheesy fascist film.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Last night was an 80s classic that I haven't watched before - No Retreat, No Surrender.

One of JCVD's earlier offerings where he isn't even the main character, wooden acting and cheese all round.

For those of you who haven't seen it, a young lad in LA sees Russian gangsters, JCVD being one of their enforcers, force his dad to give up his dojo and move to Seattle, which luckily for the young lad is where his idol is buried.

After an argument with his dad he's banned from practicing karate and in a big sulk goes to Bruce Lee's grave to beg for help. As if by magic a few nights later the ghost of Bruce Lee appears and teaches him how to fight, and fight so well that he knocks over four thugs who attack his dad as he's leaving the bar where he now works.

Not long after the Russians turn up, upto there old tricks again, and it's now a winner takes all fight between three of Seattle dojo's finest and JCVD for control of the local karate market. As expected he quickly despatches them and it looks like victory for the mob.

But wait, one man, or should that be one teenage boy, steps forward to rescue the day, willl he succeed where three champions have failed?

II'm not going to spoil it for you, you'll have to watch it if you want to know what happens. 😂😂😂

Chief Broom

Veteran
Soon as either of the two names appear i either switch off or change the channel, same goes for Bruce Willis.

Two-Wheels

If you like your martial arts films then you want to take a look at some of the Jackie Chan stuff before he went to America.

Armour of God (first one).
Police Story (certainly the first two)
Meals on Wheels

There's loads really.

Some of Jet Li's stuff. Loved Kiss of the Dragon.

Didn't mention Bruce Lee as he's obvious & hadn't done many. Enter the Dragon is always the big one that gets mentioned but tbh Fist of Fury has always been my favourite BL movie.

But if you like some 80s cheese then check out The Last Dragon.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
I might be tempted by Fists of Fury tonight, or Donnie Yen stars in a good film called The Legend of the Fist, which is loosely associated with it and is well worth a watch.

Then again I'm in an 80s cheese groove so I might seek out all the American ninja films. 😂

Two-Wheels

Yeah there's been a few remakes of the Chen Zhen (spelling may be off) character.

I had some Donnie Yen movies before he made Ip Man as I quite like the guy (I'm a bit of a MA nut).

Iron Monkey was a decent watch I thought.
Flash Point another DY movie I liked.
Kill Zone has some awesome fight scenes too.

Not your traditional MA film but does have it in it - 1986's Big Trouble in Little China with Kurt Russell and a very nice Kim Cattrall :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
another one i enjoyed but forget the title , usa team goes to asian country for contest , ones a factory worker and in a tense duh duh duh final they win .

Two-Wheels

another one i enjoyed but forget the title , usa team goes to asian country for contest , ones a factory worker and in a tense duh duh duh final they win .
Been a long time since I watched it so I may be a million miles off as can't remember exactly what happened in it

But the fact you said "usa TEAM" was a flag to me....

Wasn't Best of the Best (I know there's a few so don't know which one) was it?

Top Bottom