What's your favourite wireless station?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Mostly BBC radio 4, sometimes I'll stream something like Radio Monte Carlo Nights, or I'll tune into Channel 292 on 9670kHz on shortwave, sometimes Radio Europa on 6130kHz.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Sad news. Tonight's Alan Beswick's 10pm till 1am phone in on BBC local radio finally ended last night/this morning. He's been saying for the last few years that his days were numbered due to BBC cut backs. The last few weeks he's been hinting at it happening soon. He announced last night that this was his last show and he's now retiring after 50 years of radio phone ins and on stage stand up questions and answers shows. I've had my disagreements with his views and often shouted, mellowing in later years to talking back to him, like he could hear me :rolleyes:, but I will miss him! :unsure: From now on as far as I know, BBC Radio Lancashire and all other local BBC stations will join together at 10pm and broadcast the usual late night mundane stuff.:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Sad news. Tonight's Alan Beswick's 10pm till 1am phone in on BBC local radio finally ended last night/this morning. He's been saying for the last few years that his days were numbered due to BBC cut backs. The last few weeks he's been hinting at it happening soon. He announced last night that this was his last show and he's now retiring after 50 years of radio phone ins and on stage stand up questions and answers shows. I've had my disagreements with his views and often shouted, mellowing in later years to talking back to him, like he could hear me :rolleyes:, but I will miss him! :unsure: From now on as far as I know, BBC Radio Lancashire and all other local BBC stations will join together at 10pm and broadcast the usual late night mundane stuff.:thumbsdown:

It's worse that than, regional afternoons and all evenings plus weekends as well, on most local BBC stations, with the exception of sport, is happening. The BBC claim that they are reinvesting the money in online local news. More like they have watched Global and Bauer kill local independent radio, as it used to be called, and thought why are we bothering.

DRM

Guru
It's worse that than, regional afternoons and all evenings plus weekends as well, on most local BBC stations, with the exception of sport, is happening. The BBC claim that they are reinvesting the money in online local news. More like they have watched Global and Bauer kill local independent radio, as it used to be called, and thought why are we bothering.

They should bother, because quite simply Bauer & Global just play a continuous computer generated playlists, it’s just repetitive

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Bauer & Global just play a continuous computer generated playlists, it’s just repetitive

Indeed, and the playlists are so safe that there's almost never a chance they'll play anything I've not heard a billion times before, At work, I'm subjected to day long Absolute Radio and it has started to haunt me in my sleep, I've bought some good earplugs to get through the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRM

Mike_P

Guru
They should bother, because quite simply Bauer & Global just play a continuous computer generated playlists, it’s just repetitive

They should give Bauer and Global national licences and force then to sell the local licences they have abused. OFCOM have back tracked that much on the definition of local is now ridiculously wide akin to regional. Their investigation of Globals acquisition of 2BR (Burnley/Blackburn) was a complete joke describing 2BR as over providing in its local commitments, no it was being a local radio station. Now it's just a relay of Capital.

DRM

Guru
This is the thing, Saturday mornings the Absolute group of stations have Frank Skinner on, along with a couple of other guffawing idiots, prattling on & finding themselves oh so funny.....not, it doesn't matter whether it's Absolute 80's, 90's, Rock, or whatever, he records this utter carp, then they play records round his/their inane drivel.
It really is the lowest of the low of broadcasting.

Drago

Legendary Member

Mrs D listens to Heart. Our custom is that on a car journey the driver chooses the station, and on one journey when she was driving Heart played Gansters Paradise twice in the same hour. It was nearly enough to make me go all Falling Down.

Top Bottom