What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
View attachment 554329

Approx 10 hours elapsed I think. I haven’t loaded up GPS data yet. But based on roughly when I got back and had showered and sat down with tea and toast. No difficulties, just a 20 mph headwind most of second half. The smart charger I bought has sorted out my AA rechargeable. They are still showing 4 out of 4 bars on GPS after today’s 205km.
So you mean shortbread? I don't know how you cycled by just eating 1 of those per hour for 100km! So what's the next audax plan? Are you going to organise an audax yourself for other people to do any time soon?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
So you mean shortbread? I don't know how you cycled by just eating 1 of those per hour for 100km! So what's the next audax plan? Are you going to organise an audax yourself for other people to do any time soon?

I did write shortbread!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

My next calendar events will be end of March.

In terms of RRTY another DIY 200km in November. Then there’s this event in December https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8593 which I might be tempted to enter for a bit of winter company.

You do know Nottingham is going into tier 3 and that travel in and out is strongly advised against?
I don't leave my room much in Nottingham anyway. It's advised NOT enforced. If I get fed up of Notts, I'm going back to London, I don't care what anyone thinks.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Catching up with this (although a bit OT). Well done for completing the 117km ride.
May I suggest you consider joining in on one of the Cycle Chat monthly challenges. Warm up on one for the next 2 months and then start one in earnest in January, and persist through the year. Various distances available: 50km, 50 miles, 100km, 100 miles, plus lunacy options. Making the effort for those will get you out there, and when March comes round you'll find riding 100km+ a piece of (dairy free) cake.
What slowed me down were 6 or maybe 7 toilet breaks
I suggest you consider drinking less immediately before and during your ride (briefly discussed on another thread). Provided you need to stop for such with 'normal' regularity (ie same as at home/uni) you will be sufficiently hydrated. Over drinking is to be avoided (and in extremis fatal). The sports drinks manufacturers have pushed the 'hydrate or die' mantra for commercial purposes. Just drink steadily (max 200ml at a time, ideally) and to thirst.

Last edited:
Catching up with this (although a bit OT). Well done for completing the 117km ride.
May I suggest you consider joining in on one of the Cycle Chat monthly challenges. Warm up on one for the next 2 months and then start one in earnest in January, and persist through the year. Various distances available: 50km, 50 miles, 100km, 100 miles, plus lunacy options. Making the effort for those will get you out there, and when March comes round you'll find riding 100km+ a piece of (dairy free) cake.

I suggest you consider drinking less immediately before and during your ride (briefly discussed on another thread). Provided you need to stop for such with 'normal' regularity (ie same as at home/uni) you will be sufficiently hydrated. Over drinking is to be avoided (and in extremis fatal). The sports drinks manufacturers have pushed the 'hydrate or die' mantra for commercial purposes. Just drink steadily (max 200ml at a time, ideally) and to thirst.
I wasn't even drinking that much- I think during the whole thing only had about 1.8l max and that was it.

I'll look into monthly challenges. I might be going on a 45km club ride tomorrow- depending on the weather. What distance can you ride easily without getting too tired? I could do with some cake but had a vegan chocolate croissant today which was top notch.

Ajax Bay

Guru
That club ride (plus riding to the RV and back) sounds like a 50km ride right there.
As @ianrauk has said, individuals' needs for liquid are different so 1.8 litres may be right for you. But if you're having to stop 6-7 times (ie more than once an hour) that suggests to me over-imbibing. I suggest you reduce either your frequency of drinking or take just a couple of mouthfuls each time, or both. If you're getting a dry mouth, consider trying to (practise) breathing in through your nose more.
I'd expect hope to stop for a slash no more than twice per 100km, and I am old and weak.
'Distance to ride without getting 'too' tired'? Go to the monthly challenge ride chat threads or the 'audax' sub-forum for insights into those who enjoy riding longer.

Top Bottom