What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Do you have a planned stop for a Chinese take away this time?

Chinese tends to be only if riding into the evening or overnight. So a 300km audax or longer. With a 7am start I’ll be finished by tea time. I’ll have a stop between 12pm to 1pm to have something savoury like a wrap and to top up my water bottles. Mostly I’ll be stopping once an hour or so for some shortbread or a hob nob.

Chinese tends to be only if riding into the evening or overnight. So a 300km audax or longer. With a 7am start I’ll be finished by tea time. I’ll have a stop between 12pm to 1pm to have something savoury like a wrap and to top up my water bottles. Mostly I’ll be stopping once an hour or so for some shortbread or a hob nob.
How many calories do you think you burn on these rides vs consume during the rides?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
How many calories do you think you burn on these rides vs consume during the rides?

Well on my November 200

Calories consumed approx 2,400. Spread fairly evenly through ride, stopping to eat once an hour plus a longer lunch about 6 hours in.

I do audaxes at a relatively low intensity. So let’s assume I burn 400 calories per hour. Plus I burn roughly 60% carbohydrate and 40% fat. I pedalled for 9 hours. So 3,600 calories. Of that approx 2160 calories were carbohydrate supplied and 1,440 came from fat.

So I’ve built about a 1200 calories deficit during the ride. A good evening meal will make up the difference.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
To offer another perspective (I really don't keep track of the amount of calories I consume to be frank, I just keep eating).
Last 200km audax (DIY a fortnight ago) shows on Garmin Connect as a consumption of 3102 calories (these are kCal of course). This calculation depends on a doubtful algorithm but let's go for 3100 in 10 hours riding (9 hours pedalling).
Breakfast: Double porridge, with raisins, dates, syrup and banana before starting: 600+ calories (as opposed to 200 for a normal breakfast)
During day:
2 bananas (2 x 89 =) 178 calories
Peanut, cookie and raisin 'dip-in' mix on-the-go: about 600 calories
2 Clif bars (2 x 267 = ) 534 calories
Pasty (bought at single stop): 569 calories

So that's 2500 calories consumed against an outlay of 3100. An immediate sandwich (+other) at the end at home and I'm in balance and not over-hungry for supper. So as @YukonBoy (NB he is supine, more aero and thus probably uses less calories per hour) says: "A good evening meal will make up the difference."
And on LEL 2017 I gained weight over the course of 100 hours, as the food was so good at every control: I ate a meal (two at Moffat and Louth) at every control except the first one (St Ives).

Last edited:
Was aiming for Friday but forecast rain all day. So now looking at doing it Saturday, which is currently forecast to be dry and also ice free.
We're going to be expecting lots of pictures of all the war memorials :tongue: Take some nice snacks with you, maybe some oreos :whistle:

Tribansman

Veteran
When I was checking the date was okay with my wife she responded with 😂

16th Jan is fine - but I've checked the forecast for that day, and its either going to snow/hail or be cold & icy with black ice.
Or did it say deep floods...

She knows the history of some of my winter audaxes !

😂 at least you checked... :whistle:

got decent lights and studded tyres, I'm all in!

Top Bottom