What's Your Oldest Cycling Related Item?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Mine's a CTC diary from 1970. All rides logged, training, commuting and club runs. The mileages I logged at the time were guesstimates, but tracing known routes on Map-O-Meter they were surprisingly accurate.

Next in line is a Carrera jersey from 1987.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Nothing really pre-90s of mine, but my Dads old bike must be about 50 years old, still working fine and has some weird old things in the tool kit back from when everything used to come in metal tins :smile:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have a Dawes Kingpin bicycle from 1970 which I am restoring. (eckshoooally I have three of them, two are donor bikes). You may well ask why!

A scar over my right eye from when my raleigh 3 speed caught a drain cover in 1986, flipped me into the ground and
removed the side of my face. Witnesses said i was out cold for 6-8 minutes. :wacko:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I have an enamelled CTC badge - not 'Wheels and Wings', which (I believe) dates it somewhere between 1878 (when CTC was founded) and 1886 - not my personal membership badge I hasten to add^_^.

It's a CTC route guide book and a bunch of OS maps I bought for a ride in 1979. Stuff from before then has gone to the great graveyard in the sky.

In absolute terms, a rod-brake gent's upright bicycle which I'm told dates from the early years of WW2. I rebuilt the crank and free-wheel on it for my dad about 25 years ago but he didn't ride it. It hangs in rafters in a shed.

On my current 'fleet' it's probably a 1991 Claud Butler Criterium, now converted to fixed-gear. I was on it the morning....

I imagine a few of my tools are from the early 80s, but I have no way of knowing when I bought them.

Top Bottom