What's your tenuous claim to fame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sat next to Neil Tennant (Pet shop boys) and Janet Street Porter in a great pub near Wath-in-Nidderdale. Tenuous enough? :laugh:

Oh yes...and I've held a door open for, and said hello to, James "DNA" Watson... xx(

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It might be kewl now, but it wasn't then....... my kids like chucklevision, but when we did it the programme just didn't have the cred.....

We did a few scenes, one where we had to cycle passed a feed station and pick drinks up off a table, yes you guessed it, the brothers came past ond knocked them down. Another scene was following a car with a camera in down the main road....it was only doing 15mph so we were freewheeling most of the time. Then the next scene was going into a tunnel, truck one way, the brothers the other....crash. Took all day to film a few scenes. At least we got a free lunch and a whole 20 quid for club funds.......

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I was interviewed sitting on top of a pile of rubbish in Kosovo and this made the 9 o'clock news and CNN and all that crap.

Also the chap who sang in AC/DC who is now dead (Bon Scott) once beat me at table football and bought me a pint.

simonali

Guru
I sat near some famous people when I went to a film premiere once. The ones I remember being in the foyer with were Bill Oddie, Lionel Blair and David Shepherd the painting fella. Said painter was only a couple of seats away from where I was sat.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I literally bumped into Dennis Healey at Victoria Station in London. I was walking along head down in a hurry and walked straight into him. "Oh, sorry mate" said I, looking up, and then I probably said something like "Blimey, it's Dennis Healey", just i case he wasn't sure. :laugh:
My brother has played on stage with Suggs out of Madness was in a band with that Dave Barbarossa fella from BowWowWow and Roland Gift. I once introduced the lovely Isla St. Clair (see above) at a hospital fete. I saw Michael Portillo coming out of the bog in the Army & Navy store in Victoria, London. My mum sat next to T P McKenna on a plane. I used to often see various East Enders characters knocking about when I lived near Elstree.

I once had a nice chat with Valerie Singleton on the steps of a 747 in Delhi on the way to Hong Kong, they wouldn't let us off the plane, but we could get some fresh air.

I have been in a Rosie and Jim episode when Rosie and Jim went hashing.

ChrisKH

Guru
I had lunch with Bill Bryson in a Perth Hotel when he was researching his book 'Down Under'. He was on the next table.

A close friend from school went on to Technical College in Southend and whilst there was photographed in a number of undressed poses. He is the naked young man coming out of an egg on the Depeche Mode 'New Life' single cover. Now that's tenuous.

Vince Clark and Alison Moyet once said hello to me.

However tenuous linking cycling claim to fame is my father in law was a keen competitive cyclist in Luxembourg in late forties to mid fifties and was at one stage selected to represent his home country at the Olympics but had a career ending crash before the event. Smashed his face to bits on a descent a la Stimpson. Drugs were rife at the time and everyone took them he tells me. However the very tenuous claim is he trained at technical college to be a pastry chef. One of his cycling friends did also and trained as a butcher (it wasn't unusual to have a job as well as cycle in those days). This butcher was no less than Charly Gaul ('Angel of the Mountains') the 1958 winner of the Tour de France. My father in law went to dinner with him several times post race to celebrate the win. Not surprisingly Charly Gaul was subsequently treated like a God in Luxembourg.

walker

When I was younger, my football mangers brother was the lead Singer in Squeeze. I've shared a lift with Davina McCall. I once had dinner with Ray Parlour. I went to the same school as an Arsneal player, who still holds the record of being the quickest person at being sent off in a FA cup.

Other than that I've met and seen plenty of celebs ranging from the cheeky girls to Tom Hanks

On top of that, I once was at Walthamstow dogs With Vinne Jones (Not with him but he was about 8 foot away)
My mum went to school with Kate Bush
and my unlce used to bully Boy George

red_tom

I was at a small party with some mates at a student union and my future wife came up to one of the guys I was chatting to we'd both worked together in the union a few years before). She asked him what he did and he said he was in a band. Oh, she said, are they any good? (in a 'haven't you got round to getting a proper job yet tone') Errr, we're doing ok, he replied. I told her a bit later on that he was Will Champion, the drummer in Coldplay.

That same student union is where I worked for 4 years in an office a few desks away from Ricky Gervais. It's the office that The Office is based on. I was the lanky one who used to have to teach people how to pick up boxes. :laugh:

My Dad was Spike Milligan's psychiatrist for a while.

Oh, and Valerie Singleton once slept in my bed. She was a friend of my old stepmother and a bit of an old bat. Luckily I wasn't in the bed at the time.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The mention of Vinnie Jones reminds me that a childhood friend of my brother was present when Vinnie shot his pet ferret, Scratchley, with an air rifle. :laugh:

Top Bottom