What's your tenuous claim to fame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I played a german soldier in King Solomon's Mines, the one with Sharon Stone and Richard Chamberlain. Had lunch with them in the canteen as well. Wish I'd made more of an effort now, seeing where she's ended up!

Eric and Wanda Newby once ate in my restaurant.

vbc

I am distantly related (on my Mum's side) to the artist, Dame Laura Knight.
I once had a drink with Francis Ford Coppola on an island off the coast of Belize in early '82, he was out there looking for locations for The Mosquito Coast.
Following a bike accident earlier this year, I spent some time in the same hospital where Richard Hammond was treated following his rocket powered mishap. The staff all said he was an arrogant twat.
In one of my first jobs, I worked with an elderly guy who used to work for Brough Superior Motorcycles and they used to make bikes for T E Lawrence (of Arabia) who he met on several occasions.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
simonali said:
It'd have to be a parallel universe coz Tommy never won the Tour! (I am making the assumption that it is the TdF that you refer to)

Ah, but in a parallel universe he did win the Tour!

Admittedly, in an incredibly unlikely parallel universe I win it this year. As I have for the last decade.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

simonali

Guru
Ooh, I just remembered another one. My nan's maiden name was Rodenby and her brother spent some years doing a family tree and discovered that he (and therefore me) was distantly related to one Gene Roddenberry. Apparently an ancestral relly had moved to America and at some point it was decided that the name needed sexing up a bit!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My small claims to fame are

I went to the same school as Daniel Peacock, actor and writer who was a year behind me. He has had parts in plays on TV and films and was one of the original Kwik Fit Fitters.

I once spoke to Enoch Powell at Kings Cross station when he was getting onto my train.

I have spoken to and got the autogaph of Sean Yates

My dad was the first British soldier into Ghent in WW2 after the Germans were repelled.

I once went through the same Russian passport control booth as Greg Rusedski, in St. Petersburg.

MichaelM

Guru
My grandfather seemed to be well known in the mining community in South Wales, I think I'm right in saying he stood against Arthur Scargill for the NUM job.

I went to Almeria when I was a kid (13). We went out for a meal and there was some old hag full of her self importance - she said she was Donovan's mum.

QuickDraw

My youngest son was in Hallam Foe with Jamie Bell.

I played in a fathers v sons football match only to discover that while all the rest of the team were being marked by overweight middle aged men I was being marked by Jim Craig - European Cup winner with Celtic. First time I got the ball I guessed there wasn't much chance of jinking past him so I tried to cross it and only succeeded in skelping in the coupon. Best result I could have hoped for in the circumstances.

Stevie Frail the current manager/coach/fall guy of Hearts was a year or 2 above me at school.

I used to have one of the Scottish Rocks cheerleaders working under me.

barq

wafflycat said:
Leon Brittan slimed his way past me at Newcastle train station to push his way on to the train before we plebs got a chance to get on said train.

That sounds about right - he really is the most odious man. I have a horrible story about him, but it is so fantastically libellous that I can't post it here.

* Cyclechat members' imaginations go into overdrive *

barq

fossyant said:
I've been on a whole episode of Chucklevision.....

One of my best mates from college directs that these days. (His father used to present Playschool and created Balamory so I think he had 'connections'.) Funny thing was we both spent two years studying quite highbrow drama (Brecht, Stanislavski etc) and he ends up doing Chucklevision. :biggrin:

Dave5N

Über Member
barq said:
That sounds about right - he really is the most odious man. I have a horrible story about him, but it is so fantastically libellous that I can't post it here.

* Cyclechat members' imaginations go into overdrive *

You need to get busy with all those PMs now.

Top Bottom