What's your tenuous claim to fame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
My uncle played a glider pilot in the film 'The Longest Day'.

barq

My sister (same school as me) was classmate to Fuzzbox, that one-hit-wonder group from the 80s.

*Fumes* One hit wonders indeed! 'International Rescue', 'Self' and 'Pink Sunshine' were hits. :biggrin:

Edit: But yeah, Vickie, Maggie, Jo and Tina were certainly Brummies.

simonali

Guru
Dave5N said:
For the chap at the back who doesn't immediately recognise the name, he is a former Cyclocross World Champion (and the first man to race with clipless pedals.)

I always thought that were that Bernard Hinault fella? He was responsible for me buying my first set of Looks back in about 1986. I bloody hated toeclips!

My sister in law is a nurse and she looked after a relative of Robert Plant. He came to see his relative in hospital when she was there. She got his autograph and everything - said he was a really nice bloke. Apparently he arrived at the hospital in a private helicopter!

I'm nowhere near as well connected. The best I can do is that Jan Leeming (the newscaster) held me when I was a baby.

However both my parents used to work in television and my dad was an outside broadcast camera op at the coronation of prince charles, and has worked with the beatles and abba. He was also the on stage camera at The Doors gig at the roundhouse in london. He's dead cool my dad.

Dave5N

Über Member
simonali said:
I always thought that were that Bernard Hinault fella? He was responsible for me buying my first set of Looks back in about 1986. I bloody hated toeclips!

Don't think the Badger did much 'cross.

Dave5N

Über Member
mr_hippo said:
Mrs Hippo & I had dinner with Dayvo who has met Keith Oates.

My LBS back in Widnes is owned by John Geddes who won a cycling bronze in the '56 Olympics.

Field Marshall Montgomery spoke to me in Farnham Post Office.

:biggrin::eek::biggrin:

From beyond the grave?

<edges nervously towards the door, keeping eyes fixed on Mr Hippo>

barq

Here are some tenuous ones:
  • A female colleague took Will Young's virginity.
  • I stubbed a cigarette out on Christine Hamilton.
  • Stephen Fry is a friend of a friend.
  • Uncle's partner's daughter's partner was (the late) Martin Gilks from The Wonder Stuff.
  • Friend from uni was Tina (S Club)'s cousin.
  • Mother lived next door to Ivor Novello's boyfriend so Ivor was around there the whole time. Somewhere off Tottenham Court Road I think.
  • My best mate's wife is close friends with Gwen Stefani, Gavin Rossdale and Heather Graham.
  • My Dad was a Wimbledon umpire and linesman for the big matches.
I worked with quite a few people when I was DJing as I tended to warm up for (or filled in when they didn't show or went home early) the famous DJs and live PAs. The more generally known were Mark Goodier, Sash!, Artful Dodger, Sugarbabes (who stole everything from the dressing room), Adam Rickitt, Tom from Big Brother (the one with the red shorts) who brought Claire along too, Howard Donald, Emma B (stole all my cigarettes) and Dave Pierce.

Bigtallfatbloke

..oh i forgot...apparently during WW2 my ancestors all lived in one house in Peckham. It survived the Blitz but was blown to kingdom come later during the filming of the Battle of Britain film.

Monty Dog

Bud Ekins - Steve McQueen's best buddy, drinking partner, stunt double and Great Escapist used to spend his summers on a friend's farm - got into a drinking contest at a BBQ with him - he was about 80 and beat everyone!
Used to flat-share with Bobby Bluebell's brother at University.
Spent a day a Silverstone in the paddock cafe eating egg, beans and chips on the same table with Ron Dennis, Jackie & Paul Stewart and countless other F1 dignitaries.
My mate Mark beat Jenson Button in a mini-triathlon in Lanzarote (as he keeps reminding us)

Top Bottom