Whats your workshop look like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fixedfixer

Veteran
Ha ha ha, the bench is at far end, welder is off to left (out of shot) and next to the pillar drill is a space for a lathe (that I hope will be advertised on Gumtree soon and I'll be buying for a cheap price). I hope you can see the marg tubs all labelled up with their bike contents? :okay:

I'll zoom in on photo tomorrow :highfive:

Last edited:

wonderdog

Ok so lm feeling smug....just finished cleaning my workshop/studio. Found a different (for me) way of storing bikes so here are a few photos and some of 1952 magazines ...sort of relevant and l never get tired of reading about Fausto !!
Your shop has a rustic charm ... love the hand adzed crossbeams (oak or chestnut?). Be careful someone doesn't want to go on television restoring it or turning it into a deluxe pad. With a little over 200 years of colonial history, we are sorely short of such places.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Here's mine. Concrete sectional building in the back garden. It's a bit more untidy at the moment :whistle:

Workshop 059.JPG
Workshop 061.JPG
Workshop 062.JPG
Workshop 063.JPG

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Your shop has a rustic charm ... love the hand adzed crossbeams (oak or chestnut?). Be careful someone doesn't want to go on television restoring it or turning it into a deluxe pad. With a little over 200 years of colonial history, we are sorely short of such places.
Thanks for your kind comments. You are right it would make a nice hideaway pad. The crossbeams are chestnut and the roof joists are oak. So as you can see this is the top floor and the ground floor is what used to be used for housing cows with their calves. In fact the feed troughs are still in place.
At the moment apart from a few odds and ends it is where l keep an exercise bike and my much pampered Ducati 748s.

MikeG

Guru
KJM6h76.jpg

Gw9VMbr.jpg

MikeG

Guru
A planer-thicknesser, sash cramps,radial arm saw,morticer and a good old chippies bench with holes for dogs you are a fellow wood butcher....nice to make your acquaintance :hello:

:smile:

You missed the bandsaw, two router tables, and the pillar drill.

I'm playing with some lumps of green oak at the moment, where all the machinery in the world doesn't really help you out. Big draw-bore pegged M&T's by the score, all chopped out by hand. And here is a mitred bridle to keep everyone amused:

19PVZ7H.jpg

dBYUG6k.jpg

MikeG

Guru
I've worked for companies that had less kit than that (mind they were shopfitting firms)

I value space rather than kit. You'll see I don't have a table saw, for instance. I'd much rather have the floorspace than something which I've managed without for 30 years. I built this workshop 3 years ago, BTW. It's about 5 sq mm smaller than the area which would have triggered Building Regulations.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I value space rather than kit. You'll see I don't have a table saw, for instance. I'd much rather have the floorspace than something which I've managed without for 30 years. I built this workshop 3 years ago, BTW. It's about 5 sq mm smaller than the area which would have triggered Building Regulations.
A couple of places I've worked only had a Dimension saw and benches but that was when I was an SC60 Contractor so only there for the odd 'gig' (mainly Exhibition contracts)

Best equipped workshop I ever worked at was a woodworking tool company making Mallets, Squares, Marking Gauges, Sliding Bevels, Oilstone 'boxes' etc, all in either Beech or Rosewood, they'd got just about everything short of a CNC router (even a '5' side planer/moulder) and basically I made everything, the other 4 who worked there just sanded, assembled and lacquered whatever I'd made.
Not only that but most of the kit was old Wadkin machines.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
A couple of places I've worked only had a Dimension saw and benches but that was when I was an SC60 Contractor so only there for the odd 'gig' (mainly Exhibition contracts)

Best equipped workshop I ever worked at was a woodworking tool company making Mallets, Squares, Marking Gauges, Sliding Bevels, Oilstone 'boxes' etc, all in either Beech or Rosewood, they'd got just about everything short of a CNC router (even a '5' side planer/moulder) and basically I made everything, the other 4 who worked there just sanded, assembled and lacquered whatever I'd made.
Not only that but most of the kit was old Wadkin machines.
The thought of Wadkin machinery brings a nostalgic tear to my eye. I wasn't really a large scale woodworker although l have worked on several oak barn conversions in Suffolk. My business was making furniture in English oak and when that got too expensive, French oak ( no character of course).:smile:

Top Bottom