Whats your workshop look like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
I made a router plane yesterday:

KcBfZbK.jpg

After weeks and weeks just drawing, it was nice just spend a day in the workshop sharpening stuff, fettling my planes, and then making that "old woman's tooth" style router plane. Today: a plough plane.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I made a router plane yesterday:

View attachment 382772

After weeks and weeks just drawing, it was nice just spend a day in the workshop sharpening stuff, fettling my planes, and then making that "old woman's tooth" style router plane. Today: a plough plane.
I've got one of these,

large1.jpg

But with a full set of 'beading' cutters and the T&G cutter, it was given to me by my Uncle.

dodgy

Ok so lm feeling smug....just finished cleaning my workshop/studio. Found a different (for me) way of storing bikes so here are a few photos and some of 1952 magazines ...sort of relevant and l never get tired of reading about Fausto !!

What are you chewing? I think you need to add an extra 'r' to turn regades into regardes :P

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
What are you chewing? I think you need to add an extra 'r' to turn regades into regardes :P
Congratulations on spotting the missing "r" . I have thought about adding it but its so much more fun seeing French friends struggling to know what to say to me without appearing rude. I usually explain the vagrant letter by telling them that the graffiti artist isn't well educated and in any case it is a challenge to the observer.

MikeG

Guru
[QUOTE 5036878, member: 9609"]does that wedge really hold the chisel at the correct depth? no doubt it holds it at the perfect angle but there does not seem to be much to stop it jumping out.

I take it you used a saw to make multiple cross cuts then the plough plane is just tidying up the bottom surface ?[/QUOTE]

No, I just cut down the sides with a saw, then chiseled the stuff out between. Seconds of a job. Yes, the wedge holds everything nice and firmly, but I had to removed the finish from the working faces as that made it a little too slippery to be properly effective. I've since made this rebate plane:

3PwncwS.jpg

spVFWiB.jpg

and the problem there is that the wedge holds everything too well. I can't get it out!

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Nice! I wish I had one. My dad left me one, with all the rest of his tools, but the executors have never passed them to me. I made a crude version yesterday, as you can see from the post above.
That is far from being crude MikeG , nice work. Im sure you know that getting blades in and out of wooden bodied planes was achieved by firmly striking
them on the front end to loosen them. Not directly on the body of the plane but on a turned "button" insert

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
That is far from being crude MikeG , nice work. Im sure you know that getting blades in and out of wooden bodied planes was achieved by firmly striking
them on the front end to loosen them. Not directly on the body of the plane but on a turned "button" insert
When l wrote front end l actually meant back end :whistle:

MikeG

Guru

I know. I've clouted this plane in all sort of places, hard, to work out where to install a button. Nothing works! I've had to actually hit the wedge out with a hammer.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
These are a marvellous bit of kit. I've had three over the years but have been offered silly money for each. Always keep my eyes open for the next one ... they save a lot of time on small routing type jobs.

A #55 is the real beauty. I do have one and have used it, admittedly not used it a lot.

MikeG

Guru
I fiddled about a bit with some scrap (oak and beech) over the weekend, and made myself some marking gauges. I tried a few different things, but what they all have in common is a new locking mechanism which allows setting and adjustment to be done with just one hand. This can be important in various situations. Anyway, here they are:

45IJfNm.jpg

ftGXFWL.jpg

lAcTPuw.jpg

vQzEQ0h.jpg

qzyXjrB.jpg

The end-grain of the dowels is to act in place of the brass wear strips on your typical commercial version.
I've learnt enough from these to adjust here and there before I make some jigs to aid the process of doing a batch for christmas presents. Whilst these are all marking gauges, I have a cutting version on the bench at the moment, and I've sketches done for a mortise gauge too.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I fiddled about a bit with some scrap (oak and beech) over the weekend, and made myself some marking gauges. I tried a few different things, but what they all have in common is a new locking mechanism which allows setting and adjustment to be done with just one hand. This can be important in various situations. Anyway, here they are:

View attachment 384130

View attachment 384131

View attachment 384132

View attachment 384133

View attachment 384134

The end-grain of the dowels is to act in place of the brass wear strips on your typical commercial version.
I've learnt enough from these to adjust here and there before I make some jigs to aid the process of doing a batch for christmas presents. Whilst these are all marking gauges, I have a cutting version on the bench at the moment, and I've sketches done for a mortise gauge too.

Very pretty ! Making tools is so much more appealing than making actual end product. My, sadly now lapsed, engineering projects were mostly more tools rather than engines or trains. One day I'll get another lathe

Top Bottom