Whats your workshop look like?

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by woodbutcher, 12 Aug 2017.

Tags:
  1. fixedfixer

fixedfixer Über Member

Only make small parts, so have a 7x12 inch lathe. :okay:

lathe.jpg
    ] drill.jpg

Profpointy and raleighnut like this.
  2. Sheffield_Tiger

Sheffield_Tiger Veteran

Jealous of some of these...but it's not the size, it's what you do with it that matters

My conversion from junk-filled cellar to workshop...

1) As it was
    Before.jpg

2) Cleared out
    Cleaning.jpg

3) And painted..
    Painting.jpg

Then a bench....
    Bench.jpg

...and a tool board...

Bench2.jpg

..and some bikes....
    InUse.jpg

3. MikeG

MikeG Veteran

I made a router plane yesterday:

KcBfZbK.jpg

After weeks and weeks just drawing, it was nice just spend a day in the workshop sharpening stuff, fettling my planes, and then making that "old woman's tooth" style router plane. Today: a plough plane.

plantfit, Cuchilo, classic33 and 5 others like this.
  4. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

I've got one of these,

large1.jpg

But with a full set of 'beading' cutters and the T&G cutter, it was given to me by my Uncle.

plantfit likes this.
  5. dodgy

dodgy Guru

What are you chewing? I think you need to add an extra 'r' to turn regades into regardes :P

woodbutcher likes this.
  6. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

does that wedge really hold the chisel at the correct depth? no doubt it holds it at the perfect angle but there does not seem to be much to stop it jumping out.

I take it you used a saw to make multiple cross cuts then the plough plane is just tidying up the bottom surface ?

7. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Congratulations on spotting the missing "r" . I have thought about adding it but its so much more fun seeing French friends struggling to know what to say to me without appearing rude. I usually explain the vagrant letter by telling them that the graffiti artist isn't well educated and in any case it is a challenge to the observer.

8. MikeG

MikeG Veteran

No, I just cut down the sides with a saw, then chiseled the stuff out between. Seconds of a job. Yes, the wedge holds everything nice and firmly, but I had to removed the finish from the working faces as that made it a little too slippery to be properly effective. I've since made this rebate plane:

3PwncwS.jpg

spVFWiB.jpg

and the problem there is that the wedge holds everything too well. I can't get it out!

classic33 and raleighnut like this.
  9. MikeG

MikeG Veteran

Nice! I wish I had one. My dad left me one, with all the rest of his tools, but the executors have never passed them to me. I made a crude version yesterday, as you can see from the post above.

woodbutcher likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

That is far from being crude MikeG , nice work. Im sure you know that getting blades in and out of wooden bodied planes was achieved by firmly striking
    them on the front end to loosen them. Not directly on the body of the plane but on a turned "button" insert

MikeG likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

When l wrote front end l actually meant back end :whistle:

12. MikeG

MikeG Veteran

I know. I've clouted this plane in all sort of places, hard, to work out where to install a button. Nothing works! I've had to actually hit the wedge out with a hammer.

13. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Bit of candlewax on the wedge ?

Gravity Aided and woodbutcher like this.
  14. MikeG

MikeG Veteran

Yep. That helped. It still doesn't come loose enough to pull out by hand. I'll keep fiddling......

raleighnut likes this.
  15. wonderdog

wonderdog Well-Known Member

These are a marvellous bit of kit. I've had three over the years but have been offered silly money for each. Always keep my eyes open for the next one ... they save a lot of time on small routing type jobs.

raleighnut likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice