What's your worst cycling experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Other than the twice I've gone up in the air thanks to imbecillic drivers and once knocking myself unconcious with lots of blood trying to impress a girl in my class with my bike prowess and not seeing her dads car parked in the road rather than in their drive as it ALWAYS was.
Bonking totally on a Manchester to Blackpool ride a few years ago that I woefully underprepared for by turning up on the spur of the moment, moderately hungover, with practically nothing to eat or drink and setting off like my a**e was on fire. I walked the last five miles very slowly in a jelly state and climbed back on just before the finish.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Made the mistake of racing three other friends to see who could go the fastest down a long steep decent, lead rider got into a speed wobble, lost control and wiped the rest of us out
RESULT
Lots of road rash (all four of us)
Lots of claret (all four of us)
one broken ankle (me)
one broken arm (david)
two knocked out (david and paul)
Three ambulances
40 minutes before the first ambulance arrived (in an age of no mobile phones, just broken phone booths)
Months of recovery
Two bikes never recovered (never knew what happened to them)

Never done that again!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2080362, member: 9609"]Drove 200 mile to find the bike was no longer on the roof - what was to be a 7 mile cycle in + 20 mile walk in the hills + 7 mile cycle out, turned out to be a very gruelling 34 mile hike with the nagging worry of could my bike have caused some sort of accident and the police might be waiting for me - when I eventually spoke to the wife she said "do you realize you left your bike on the driveway"[/quote]

That made me laught out loud that did. Very funny.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
This sounds a bit trite, but my worst experience was not being allowed a Raleigh Chopper when I was a kid. I have never forgiven my mother for this infraction. The Chopper was a right of passage when I was a kid.

Doseone

Guru
Tearing down a long off road descent on my mountain bike to find a fallen tree across the path. Tried to jump it but it was too big, front wheel hit it and that's about the last bit I remember. I was a bit of a mess, not sure how I got home 'cos I still had a fair way to go. Wife tried to get me to go to A&E, but I said I would be ok, but then started to pass blood and thought that A&E would be a good idea.

Bike was mostly ok, just a bent hanger and a few other bits and bobs.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tearing down a long off road descent on my mountain bike to find a fallen tree across the path. Tried to jump it but it was too big, front wheel hit it and that's about the last bit I remember. I was a bit of a mess, not sure how I got home 'cos I still had a fair way to go. Wife tried to get me to go to A&E, but I said I would be ok, but then started to pass blood and thought that A&E would be a good idea.

Bike was mostly ok, just a bent hanger and a few other bits and bobs.
Ouch!

So, what did they find at A & E? :whistle:

Doseone

Guru
Ouch!

So, what did they find at A & E? :whistle:
Nothing. The doc just took some blood and sent me home, I never heard anything more. He said the blood in my wee was probably just from the heavy fall. I was very sore after but no lasting damage was done.

OP
OP
TheLondonCyclist
Made the mistake of racing three other friends to see who could go the fastest down a long steep decent, lead rider got into a speed wobble, lost control and wiped the rest of us out
RESULT
Lots of road rash (all four of us)
Lots of claret (all four of us)
one broken ankle (me)
one broken arm (david)
two knocked out (david and paul)
Three ambulances
40 minutes before the first ambulance arrived (in an age of no mobile phones, just broken phone booths)
Months of recovery
Two bikes never recovered (never knew what happened to them)

Never done that again!
That's insane! How are David and Paul now?

Seryth

Another nasty story I've just thought of - can't believe it wasn't the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this thread! It didn't happen to me, but to one of my best mates.

He was six at the time, and was out cycling with his family and friends on a local cycle track. At the time, the path was un-kept, made by large chunks of gravel, debris, and branches....more like a mountain bike route! (Since then it's been re-surfaced). He was riding down a hill behind his friend, and when his friend tried to pull up, his breaks failed. My mate was right behind him, and went flying over the handlebars and faceplanted the large gravel chunks, managing to get one lodged _inside_ his chin. The family he was with rushed him to hospital, where he went under an emergency op to remove the stone and heal his fractured chin. He's got a nasty, nasty scar that will remind him for ever more not to cycle too close behind someone!
That said, it didn't deter him from cycling! In fact, a couple of years later he picked up BMXing at the local club.

hotmetal

OK, if we're allowed to recount other people's worst cycling experiences, when ah wuz a wee lad I remember going cycling on the local common with my mum. She went down this grassy hill like they did in that Anchor butter advert 30 years ago, legs out and 'wheeeee!' She didn't realise that there was a little narrow brook at the bottom and her front wheel went in and hurled her over the bars, in a very unceremonious face-plant. I thought she'd broken her neck, it was a lot less funny than it might sound.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
That's insane! How are David and Paul now?

Been a long time since this happened 1976 if I remember right
David Widdrington got married and emigrated to Australia, I've not seen or heard of him since

Paul Davies unfortunately was killed in a drunken brawl at his sisters wedding, some long term family feud erupted and ended with him being stabbed in the heart, he was 21

Arther Robinson (who caused the pile up) passed away from a brain hemorrhage about 10 years ago, he was 39

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
OK, if we're allowed to recount other people's worst cycling experiences, when ah wuz a wee lad I remember going cycling on the local common with my mum. She went down this grassy hill like they did in that Anchor butter advert 30 years ago, legs out and 'wheeeee!' She didn't realise that there was a little narrow brook at the bottom and her front wheel went in and hurled her over the bars, in a very unceremonious face-plant. I thought she'd broken her neck, it was a lot less funny than it might sound.
I can top that - link! :eek:

Top Bottom