What's your worst cycling experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I like that. I'll have to do that to a car when they act bad.. open their boot door, nice one lol.
It was a 'rush of blood' kind of moment - I don't think I'd recommend it.

hotmetal

I've scared myself witless a few times (mainly on the MTB) but the only serious accident I've had in nearly 40 years of cycling was getting T-boned by a Rover 827. I'd established eye contact with the driver, but he obviously had the memory of a drugged goldfish because he saw me, then looked behind me to see if it was clear, then accelerated hard out of the junction, just as I was level with his bonnet. Front bumper caught my left pedal and bent the crank arm to 70 degrees such that it jammed behind the seat tube (luckily it missed my ankle), and I went over the bonnet and landed on the opposite side of the road. I was lucky, nothing other than bruises and materialschaden and as he was RAF and had his senior officer in the passenger seat, there was no dispute.

Matt1705

Über Member
Last week my chain broke as I was setting off from a junction.
Squished my man bits as I came down hard on the saddle

Queue phone call to wife "need lift to work" ;)

OP
OP
TheLondonCyclist
Last week my chain broke as I was setting off from a junction.
Squished my man bits as I came down hard on the saddle

Queue phone call to wife "need lift to work" ;)
LOL. That sounds painful. I bet the wife was displeased later that night. HAHA "I can't, it hurts"

hotmetal

I went over a ramp only for the front wheel to drop off. It was a grifter so there's probably big gouges out of the Tarmac. It was a while ago...
Ah, Grifters. Those were the days. Weirdest shaped saddle known to man, lived in the shadow of its cooler brother the Chopper, but was actually better due to the following irrefutable arguments:
- It had a proper size front wheel
- You could fold the little mudflap bits on the mudguards inwards to make a motorbike noise
- If you slipped off the saddle you had a nice padded handlebar brace to hit instead of a gear lever that could turn you into a eunuch
- It didn't have fake suspension springs on the saddle, or a silly notice telling you not to take passengers
- It was named after a con artist, but rather that than a euphemism for the male anatomy
- If Chuck Norris was a kid in the 70s, he would have had one.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Mines a toss up between hitting diesel at 25mph on a roundabout (front wheel wash out, I scraped along the floor then the tyre gripped again and high-sided me in front of a thankfully alert WVM), and the moment when, at 14, I realised why you didn't ride the local MTB trail backwards. The following moments involved me jumping into a bramble bush and the bike reshaping itself against a concrete fence.

Crosstrailer

Ah, Grifters. Those were the days. Weirdest shaped saddle known to man, lived in the shadow of its cooler brother the Chopper, but was actually better due to the following irrefutable arguments:
- It had a proper size front wheel
- You could fold the little mudflap bits on the mudguards inwards to make a motorbike noise
- If you slipped off the saddle you had a nice padded handlebar brace to hit instead of a gear lever that could turn you into a eunuch
- It didn't have fake suspension springs on the saddle, or a silly notice telling you not to take passengers
- It was named after a con artist, but rather that than a euphemism for the male anatomy
- If Chuck Norris was a kid in the 70s, he would have had one.

Grifter better than a Chopper ? Are you on drugs ? :biggrin:

hotmetal

Mines a toss up between hitting diesel at 25mph on a roundabout (front wheel wash out, I scraped along the floor then the tyre gripped again and high-sided me in front of a thankfully alert WVM), and the moment when, at 14, I realised why you didn't ride the local MTB trail backwards. The following moments involved me jumping into a bramble bush and the bike reshaping itself against a concrete fence.

Don't try the first on a motorbike like I did then. If it wasn't for the fact that I drive a diesel car, I'd ban the stuff! :tongue:
I accidentally did the 2nd one at Aston Hill. Got lost doing their XC route, found myself on quite a 'challenging' climb, thought I was doing quite well until 4 guys in full face lids and body armour came pelting down on big DH rigs. I couldn't quite tell what they were saying but I suspect 'you're going the wrong way' may have been a part of it.

Being taken out by a woman opening her car door just as I was along side, best mate said I flew over the door nicely before hitting the gravel!! layers of skin taken off elbows and knees, proud to say I didnt cry untill I got home . ps I was 11 yrs old .

Top Bottom