Wheel bearing help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

Ahhh, interesting theory. Makes sense. Would explain why the bearing is dodgy on just the disk side - doesn’t really mitigate my lack of maintenance though!

si_c

Guru
As @I like Skol said you'll be fine to run those hubs for a while, the hardened surface has gone which means that they'll wear a bit quicker now, but you can mitigate that to a good degree simply by making sure you service them with greater frequency from now on. The bearings are unlikely to be what was causing the judder.

There are a few things that could, warped disc rotor, improperly bedded in pads (unlikely given the age of the bike), badly aligned caliper (again less likely) or loose headset for example. Also worth checking is the QR for your front wheel (I'm assuming it's QR as it's not a new bike), if that's no longer clamping the wheel in place properly that could also cause the judder you are experiencing - try a newer good quality QR.

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

So, I have new set of balls (ooh err, about time) and am replacing the bearings on both from and rear hubs.

Just taken axel out of rear hub. Unfortuntaly one of the hub bearing covers / caps is a bit warped and bent, but I suspect whoever put it together did that. I've not noticed any issues with it so am just leaving it place for now.

However, I'm wondering, whilst it's in bits is there anything I should be doing to service the freewheel?
Looks like it needs so sort of special splined tool to take it off, so hopefully I wont need to go there...

thanks

Top Bottom