Wheel Bearing Help Required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
Not sure about the red valve cap, but I suppose you'll be able to find it on the floor. :tongue:

I didn't spot it when I collected the bike as I may have turned and walked away again :laugh:

I tried to find a matching one for the other wheel but couldn't so its back to double black again now. I think they make you faster too because of the stealth like properties.

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
Yep, just make sure you have the cones/locknuts and any washers back where they came from.

EDIT - Any grease is fine in there, it doesn't need to be a specific 'Cycle' type.[/QUOTE
Yep, just make sure you have the cones/locknuts and any washers back where they came from.

EDIT - Any grease is fine in there, it doesn't need to be a specific 'Cycle' type.

Job done at the 2nd attempt thanks to your various pieces of advice. I think the new the bearings/grease, workmate and patience helped this time. I bought cone spanners but found that as there was a protective cap over one of the nuts none of the sizes would fit and I had to use long nose plyers to hold it. As I had foolishly removed the drive side and also moved the non drive side I had some fun trying to ensure that the right amount of axle was poking through the hub. I found the best way was to keep slipping the wheel into the dropouts with the bike upside down on the floor and the moving the cone nuts with the cassette still off. When it looked right, I nipped up the nuts and checked it with the QR back on, and when satisfied that it was spinning freely I popped the cassette back on. There is no lateral wheel movement anymore and nothing appears to be fowling either :thumbsup:

Top Bottom