Wheel out of true or bent frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolf616

Über Member
A month or so ago my back wheel started rubbing on the brakes on one side, and I checked and lo and behold it appeared to 'wobble' so I assumed it was out of true loosened the brake and thought nothing more of it.

This past week the wheel has started to rub on the frame. I assumed this meant that it was even more out of true, but having done some basic googling most things suggest it might be a bent frame.

How likely is it that my wheel - which exhibits a huge wobble - is just out of true, as opposed to a bent frame? I've looked and can't see any noticeable bend on the chainstay side (where the wheel rubs slightly).

Also, how dangerous would it be to ride if it is bent? Was going to take it to the shop tomorrow to get the wheel trued but that requires cycling to work!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Most likely the wheel is out of true unless you have done something to the frame like having an accident or bashing it in some way.
It may be possible to true the wheel unless the rim is too bent in which case a new rim is required. Only way to find out is take it to your LBS.
Might be difficult to ride safely in that condition.

Last edited:

Velochris

Über Member
If the wheel is out of true it will rub at the same point on the rim each revolution.

If the frame is bent it will probably rub most of the time.

Takes a lot of "out of true" to rub again the frame but can depend on rim width and clearance etc.

A rim that is not dished correctly can be true but sit one side or the other relative to centre and could sit near a chainstay. Again, if it didn't do this originally it is unlikely all the spokes on one side have loosened causing the change in dish.

A list of loose play in hubs can also cause a rim to move potion relative to the centre but unlikely to be the cause.

wisdom

Guru
How old is the bike?
Has it suffered from any type of impact?
Maybe a picture or short video clip may help with the diagnosis.

OP
OP
Wolf616

Wolf616

Über Member
The bike isn't that old, but I'm an idiot and go far too fast down a hill with many speed bumps so I think that's done it. Depends on your definition of impact I guess!

The bike isn't that old, but I'm an idiot and go far too fast down a hill with many speed bumps so I think that's done it. Depends on your definition of impact I guess!
Can you flip the wheel round so that the sprockets are on the wrong side and then spin the wheel . If the wheel is bent it should rub in a similar place but opposite to where it rubbed before. If it rubs in a different position it would point to something else being bent.

Just had a second thought! If you were to do as I said but to put some masking tape in the places where the wheel rubs you shold be able to measure from the dropouts on each side and compare the measurements. If the measurements are the same then your frame should be square. It is like taking diagonal measurements but in a different way.

OP
OP
Wolf616

Wolf616

Über Member
Flipped the wheel and it errs to the opposite side, as would be expected, but now gets stuck on the brake rather than rubs the frame. Guess it must be a bent axle - is that something that you can just replace?

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What kind of hub is it? It is unusual to bend the axle in a modern freehub type hub as the bearings are very close to the outer ends of the axle. It was a lot more common back in the day with freewheels as the drive side bearings were often 30-40mm from the drive side axle end and this long length of unsupported axle was susceptible to being bent in a hard landing or impact (did it a fair few times myself as a kid).

Yes the axle can be replaced quite easily but you will need to inspect the cones and cups for damage before spending money on an axle for a hub that might be damaged and about to die anyway.

Top Bottom