Wheel out of true or bent frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Flipped the wheel and it errs to the opposite side, as would be expected, but now gets stuck on the brake rather than rubs the frame. Guess it must be a bent axle - is that something that you can just replace?

If the wheel is out of true you need to check and adjust the spokes until the rim runs in a straight line.

If the axle was rotated in the frame as I mentioned above the place where the wheel rubs should move if the axle is bent. This should be a quick way to determine if it is the axle. You may have to rotate it several times to prove this.

Where the axle fits into the frame, is the slot vertical or horizontal. Vertical dropouts only have one axle position. Horizontal dropouts allow you to vary the position the axle so it is possible to fix the axle in a bit wonky.

Globalti

Legendary Member
From the description and the admission of heavy riding I'd put my money on a wheel that needs re-dishing. This is best done by an experienced mechanic with a dishing gauge that ensures the rim is perfectly central to the hub.

Top Bottom