Wheel reflectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
black in black.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Whose idea was it to make those reflectors and pedal reflectors mandatory? Some minister whose Eton chum owned an injection moulding factory?

Years ago in Lagos every road vehicle started wearing two strips of reflective red and white on the rear bumper. It was said to be a new requirement from the ministry along with the warning triangle, the extinguisher and copies of all the documents including the window tinting permit. If you were stopped by the police or a traffic warden (aka "yellow fever") you stood to lose a tidy sum of cash for not having everything in the car. So naturally everybody rushed to buy the strips. Months later the story emerged that it was a scam, not a ministry requirement and a couple of guys had made millions of dollars from it. Clever!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Tyres with reflective sidewalls are an alternative. They stay reflective until the first few wet rides, when they are obscured by brake sludge and road grime.

Happily, neither are a legal requirement after initial purchase of the bike.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Hope you also removed the spoke protector behind the cassette aka 'dork disc'.

Errr no sorry lol

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I still have reflectors on my commuter wheels. I tend to finish my shift in the evenings between 8-11pm and winter nights can get pretty dark so i just leave them on.

Maybe they'll save my life one day.
I can't see how. they only show up when a car is going to broadside you and your profile is already in full view of his lights. And by then in either case it will be too late anyway.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I can't see how. they only show up when a car is going to broadside you and your profile is already in full view of his lights. And by then in either case it will be too late anyway.

I dont know. Maybe I'll be peddling so fast they'll generate their own gravitational field, fly off, through a windscreen and guillotine the person driving too close to me.

Im not going to go any faster with them off the bike so why should i waste effort taking them off if they are already attached? Live and let live.

Top Bottom