Wheel upgrade on Giant Defy 0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
My Defy 0 has the stock Giant PR2 wheelset which is probably a decent fitment. If I was to upgrade the wheels would the Shimano Ultegra 6800 wheelset together with an Ultegra 6800 cassette (current cassette is a 105) be worth while? I have read that the wheels are dual purpose in that they will take tubed and tubeless tyres and that it can be difficult to get tubed tyres onto the rims - any experience of this?

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Don't see the point of replacing a 105 cassette with an ultegra one, it's just a cassette that will do the same job at the end of the day.
Perhaps @huwsparky can help with the wheelset question

lpretro1

6800 cassette is 11 speed - is your 105 the 5800 11 spd version? - cos if it's not then it won't work!

huwsparky

Über Member
Yep, agree with @Doyleyburger no point in changing the cassette. I went for the same combo as you are thinking of doing. The biggest difference you will notice is how much better the bike rides by means of soaking up bumps better and being smoother. They are subtle differences though but noticeable none the less.

As for being noticeably faster, can't really say I noticed any difference. There is some 300g difference in weight so in theory there should be a difference I guess. I think I can safely say though that another hour or two extra on the bike every week will gain you more speed than any wheel would!

And yes, getting two tires onto these rims took me an hour and had to use Vaseline for help. Not a pleasant job!

I have a rear Ultegra 6800 never had a problem getting tyres on them ( conti gatorskins) however not a huge fan, they are a good wheel but when used for commuting I found the rims wore and went concave fairly quickly ( within 6 months) . It is now on the cross bike and have Mavic Kyserium Equippe S on the road bike as the rims dont seem to wear hardly at all. I commute just under 200 miles per week and jump off kerbs fairly regularly and seem bomb proof for me ( I am 11 stone) and prefer the mavics "feel" but thats just a personal thing and cant really describe the difference.
The mavic is 40g heavier for a set but I dont notice.Prices are just about the same on wiggle 249 for the mavic, 215 for the ultegra. Note I cant remember if the ultegra came with rim tape.The Mavic came with a free tube and tyre.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The giant wheels are apparantly DT swiss 1800s and come in at around 1900 g for the set , the ultegra wheels are a bit lighter at around 1640 g according to chain reaction, another option could be a set from superstar components , i recently bought some and im very impressed , listed at 1492 g.
As others have said they will not make you any faster but compared to my old wheelset they certainly accelerate faster and saving nearly a kilo over the stock bike wheels i can feel it .
http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/elite-24-ultra-11speed-wheelset-2024.htm
elite-24-ultra-11speed-wheelset-2024-1.jpg

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
Thanks for the replies and advice/comments. I am trying to learn as much as I can about bikes and their components and hope my questions aren't too stupid!

Don't see the point of replacing a 105 cassette with an ultegra one, it's just a cassette that will do the same job at the end of the day.
Perhaps @huwsparky can help with the wheelset question

I had thought of replacing the 105 cassette (eventually when it becomes necessary) with the Ultegra (both 11 speed by the way) as the rear mech is already Ultegra. I suppose Giant put the 105 cassette on as a cost saver, just as they have used 105 for the front mech.

As for the wheels, I wouldn't expect them to make me faster but having read numerous reviews it would appear that lighter wheels can make the bike 'feel' better which is what Huwsparky, HarryTheDog and cyberknight are saying.

Thanks once again for the replies, it all starts to make sense to an old brain! :okay:

Doyleyburger

Veteran
How about using your current wheels through winter before upgrading. I originally wanted to upgrade the wheels on my Giant TCR, and I still do, but not in a rush now as winter is here.

potsy

Rambler
My Defy 0 has the stock Giant PR2 wheelset which is probably a decent fitment. If I was to upgrade the wheels would the Shimano Ultegra 6800 wheelset together with an Ultegra 6800 cassette (current cassette is a 105) be worth while? I have read that the wheels are dual purpose in that they will take tubed and tubeless tyres and that it can be difficult to get tubed tyres onto the rims - any experience of this?
I have a pair of the Ultegra wheels and they are the trickiest of all my wheels to get tyres on.

I find a bit of 'lube' helps enormously.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I had thought of replacing the 105 cassette (eventually when it becomes necessary) with the Ultegra (both 11 speed by the way) as the rear mech is already Ultegra. I suppose Giant put the 105 cassette on as a cost saver, just as they have used 105 for the front mech.
No point whatsoever in changing the 105 cassette for an Ultegra, you won't feel any difference, except your wallet will be lighter. I had a 105 11-28 cassette as stock, changed it for a Tiagra 12-30 for the lower gearing. It performs exactly the same.

Top Bottom