Wheel upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

So what's your take on Aero style deeper dishes wheels then @Yellow Saddle and @Citius ?

Are these also a complete waste?

I don't think anyone has said that anything is a 'complete waste' - not sure where you read that.

Aero wheels give aero benefits - some are lighter than non-aero wheels, while some are heavier than non-aero wheels. As with everything else, they have their uses in the right circumstances. Light and aero is a pretty good all-round combination.

So what's your take on Aero style deeper dishes wheels then @Yellow Saddle and @Citius ?

Are these also a complete waste?
No. They have a place. If you go fast (not ambling along), they can save a couple of seconds, even minutes, off your 50km time trial time. Most of us don't ride like that though so it is worthless for 99% of people on racing bikes.

By definition, they have to be made from carbon because a deep-section aluminium wheel is really heavy. I mean really. Carbon is not a great wheel material for the average Joe. It brakes very poorly and breaks very well when hitting cat-eyes or the like. The brake problem ill be largely solved by the surging disc brake phenomena. The break problem is with us forever.

They are great for one thing though - advertising space. No single other bicycle product offers as much flash for buck than a set of black deep section wheels with white graphics.

bpsmith

Veteran
What's different about braking on a metal surface compared to braking on a metal surface attached to a carbon fibre wheel?

bpsmith

Veteran
Your question doesn't make sense - and doesn't appear to be related to anything posted.
It directly relates to the post above it and totally makes sense!

@Yellow Saddle says aero wheels don't brake very well as they are carbon, yet there are many an aero wheel that has a metal braking surface! ;)

Forgot to say earlier, that I am truly shocked that you both think aero wheels don't make any difference. Lol.

Never guessed that would be your response...

It directly relates to the post above it and totally makes sense!

@Yellow Saddle says aero wheels don't brake very well as they are carbon, yet there are many an aero wheel that has a metal braking surface! ;)

Forgot to say earlier, that I am truly shocked that you both think aero wheels don't make any difference. Lol.

Yes yes yes, obviously there are carbon wheels with metal braking surfaces. Even so, they still don't brake as well as a non- carbon-encased alu wheel, since they cannot dissipate heat well enough. Yes yes yes,,,they brake OK in the street where grannies cross as prams go faster than bikes. They suffer from delamination too. Not nice.

I cannot find anywhere where we said aero doesn't make a difference.

Citius

You have a bizarre and recurring ability to invent things that we didn't say - either that, or you have serious problems with your comprehension. Can you point me to the post where I said aero wheels don't make any difference?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You'd have to explain why they weren't 'worthless'. Good luck with that.
How about you explain why they are worthless for 99% of people.......its a pretty high percentage......good luck in quantifying that number.

Citius

How about you explain why they are worthless for 99% of people.......its a pretty high percentage......good luck in quantifying that number.

As above - already been done. If you don't agree with Yellow Saddle's thoughts - tell him why and come up with some better info.

Top Bottom