Wheel upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Its seems to me that both you and citius are very special.....but still cant quantify or give a reason why aero wheels are useless for 99% of people on race bikes...
I would question the Both element of your comment. I am not totally sure that they aren't one and the same. Whatever @Yellow Saddle says @Citius follows...albeit without adding much to argument.

I think it's known as Option C:

1. @Yellow Saddle says something and backs it up with data.
2. Someone else disagrees, and questions the data, not always having the same knowledge to give alternative data.
3. @Citius backs up @Yellow Saddle and says you're a fool if you don't instantly agree, but fails to add anything further in terms of data.
4. Argument continues until the person at point 2 gets bored.

:smile:

bpsmith

Veteran
In all seriousness @jowwy, I have read this thread again twice and can't see Anything with data attached to why Aero wheels are useless for 99% of road bike riders. The weight thing has been answered well by @Yellow Saddle, I agree, but nothing but opinion on the Aero thing.

A very brief Google found this which is interesting:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2010/04/biggest-bang-for-your-buck-in-time-trial-equipment/

Citius

Two people with the same opinion doesn't make them the same person. Also, there you go again with your gigantic misrepresentations. I have never said that anyone is a 'fool' for not agreeing. You really do need some lessons in English comprehension.

bpsmith

Veteran
Two people with the same opinion doesn't make them the same person. Also, there you go again with your gigantic misrepresentations. I have never said that anyone is a 'fool' for not agreeing. You really do need some lessons in English comprehension.
Still not adding anything whatsoever to the topic...

annirak

Veteran
In all seriousness @jowwy, I have read this thread again twice and can't see Anything with data attached to why Aero wheels are useless for 99% of road bike riders. The weight thing has been answered well by @Yellow Saddle, I agree, but nothing but opinion on the Aero thing.

A very brief Google found this which is interesting:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2010/04/biggest-bang-for-your-buck-in-time-trial-equipment/

Oh, fun. Numbers to back up my intuitive assumption that Tri-bars are the way to go if you want to go faster.

bpsmith

Veteran
Oh, fun. Numbers to back up my intuitive assumption that Tri-bars are the way to go if you want to go faster.
True indeed. I was not trying to prove that wheels were, I was honestly asking if they made a difference. That link proves that I am impartial and genuinely interested on where I can gain some speed. :smile:

@Citius, don't bite any further. My Option C was blatantly having a joke, hence the post that followed starting as it did. Tongue in cheek is all it was. :smile:

Just out of interest who are the 1% who would get a benefit? Do I qualify?
Naaah, you have to complain, bitch and call the manager first.

Cyclist33

Power to weight helps massively over aero and carbon.
If you are overweight shifting it would get you more time than adding carbon or aero to a standard race bike.
#stayoffthechocolatebars

Which is kind of obvious but it won't stop mamils from shelling out on the latest parts and/or bikes because they can. Mistakenly they think it makes them look cool but just highlights how ridiculous a gold-plated toad in a veruca sock looks.

annirak

Veteran
Which is kind of obvious but it won't stop mamils from shelling out on the latest parts and/or bikes because they can. Mistakenly they think it makes them look cool but just highlights how ridiculous a gold-plated toad in a veruca sock looks.

The last time I did a sportive, I spotted a guy on a road bike with fancy hubs, low-spoke count wheels, etc. I passed him easily on my stock, cheap bike.

Cyclist33

I get passed more often than I pass, but it isn't index linked to the bikes. My favourite pass was on my Defy 3 passing someone on their Defy 1 from the same year. I think I was on upgraded wheels (which we have established makes no appreciable difference) but in any case it was still nice to be passing the £1000 model on my £680 bike. That year's Defy also had a handy "Defy" decal on the seat stays facing backwards, so he knew for sure I was in the same family!

Top Bottom