Wheel upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
You are all talking utter tosh.......the colour of the bike gives infinite speed gains!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Perhaps the 'greedy lazy mamil' has invested in a nice bike to serve as an incentive to improve fitness? Or perhaps they are able to afford it and fancy a nice bike - who knows.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
There must be a way of quantifying the inherent laziness and greed of a mamil's preference for investment of money into materials over investment of time into physical wellbeing and athletic prowess.
Well if you happen to be loaded it's pretty easy to spend the dosh, (and a whole load easier) I mean you don't have to be Lewis Hamilton to own an AMG Merc!

Cyclist33

Perhaps the 'greedy lazy mamil' has invested in a nice bike to serve as an incentive to improve fitness? Or perhaps they are able to afford it and fancy a nice bike - who knows.

If that were the case they would demonstrate a lot more commitment to fitness by spending (and eating) less to achieve it.

Citius

I agree there is a certain misconception that 'you have to be fit to ride a nice bike' - you don't - you just need to be able to afford one. If you can, then go for it, it's good for the economy (assuming you don't buy online from Germany).

Nobody ever got criticised for buying a Ferrari and not being able to drive it fast.

uclown2002

Guru
Power to weight helps massively over aero and carbon.
If you are overweight shifting it would get you more time than adding carbon or aero to a standard race bike.
#stayoffthechocolatebars
There are a few heavyweights here, with all the fancy gear, who are not going to like to hear that!

bpsmith

Veteran
There must be a way of quantifying the inherent laziness and greed of a mamil's preference for investment of money into materials over investment of time into physical wellbeing and athletic prowess.
It's the chicken or the egg scenario for many I would imagine. I wanted a nice bike in order to inspire me to go out on it having spent the money. That lasted about 15 mins into the first ride, when I realised that I was hooked!

I was never an overweight mamil but am now 7.5kg or 10% lighter, so the bike now weighs nothing. :smile:

There are a few on here who assume that if you have a nice bike, you must be minted and be overweight.

I like the point about importing from Germany. Saved me £600 getting mine from Milan via Munich! Also took less time than ordering here.

Citius

I like the point about importing from Germany. Saved me £600 getting mine from Milan via Munich! Also took less time than ordering here.

I only mentioned that as a postscript to my point about bike purchases being good for the (UK) economy ;)

winjim

Smash the cistern
Since the thread's already gone silly:

IMG_167994486896862.jpeg

Top Bottom