Wheel upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

heist

Hello I'm Matt, new the forum. Been lurking on here for a while, but thought I would finally join.

I got my first road bike before christmas, and have really got into it. I bought a Vitus Razor VR, and managed to get quite a good deal on it. I don't want to rush into buying my next bike, so I plan to save up and take my time to decide what I want to progress to.

As I plan to keep this bike for a while. I have decided to put a bit of money towards doing a few upgrades, but I don't want to spend too much. The bike comes with mainly sora parts, which I will leave as they are.

I have been reading different forums and watching videos about upgrading wheels. I have a budget of about £80 -£100, and I wondered what people would recommend.

Is it worth spending the money, will I see a noticeable difference within that price range?

Thanks

Is it worth spending the money, will I see a noticeable difference within that price range?

Thanks

No.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Your current Vitus wheelset will probably weigh in at about 1950g or less.

To get a better wheelset (sealed bearings, lighter), maybe weighing in at say 1600g, you'll need to pay out about £200-£300+.

You might find some 2nd hand,lighter wheels on ebay, nearly new, but you'd still be over the £100 mark and they might be no different.

Just my views.

Enjoy your bike.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Stick with what you have. :okay:

Just looked at said bike, a tyre upgrade could be worth while if these are the tyres that are on it.
  • Rims:Vitus Alloy Road
  • Tyres:Kenda, 700 x 25c

OP
OP
heist

heist

Cool thanks for the advice.

The tyres that are on the bike are "kenda kriterium" 700 X 25c. I was thinking about replacing these as well, someone recommended continental gatorskins. Are they any good?

Citius

Keep the wheels, because £80-100 will not get you a worthwhile upgrade. Instead, spend £40-60 on a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pros or Continental GP4000S and enjoy.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Re wheels - the more you pay the lighter and stiffer the wheel will be,meaning it takes less energy to maintain your speed.

However you get to a point where the lightness returns start dropping off and the increased stiffness only comes into play when you are out of the saddle slogging up a hill in a big gear - ie probably very rarely.

In which case you only need a medium priced set of wheels - I'd aim for Zonda/Ksyrium Elite type wheels - and personally I would stay with Mavic/Campy as you can get spares. I use Zonda and would be a bit reluctant to use anything less.

Tyres - expect to pay £20 each posted. I go for folders ( wire beads are heavier) and puncture protection to suit your taste.

Re wheels - the more you pay the lighter and stiffer the wheel will be,meaning it takes less energy to maintain your speed.

Perhaps you'd care to explain that statement?

Philh

Über Member
Just got these today

IMG_0404.JPG

Mavic Ksyrium Elite S. Got them with 24% discount. Tyres included.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I upgraded my wheelset 3 months back. I didn't have much of a budget but I was hoping I had £250-£300 to spend, which would put me in the Campag Zonda range or the Fulcrum equivalent......the wife told me otherwise :sad:
Turns out I only had about £150 to spend, so I purchased the campagnolo Scirocco 35's (£170).....boy are they good ! So much smoother and roll really well, plus Iv saved about 500g from my stock mavic rims.
Highly reccomend if you can't quite stretch to Zondas or Ksyriums

Philh

Über Member
I have now fitted the Ksyriums on my Giant. It has dropped from 8.5kg to 7.9kg so about the same weight saving as yours

Top Bottom