Wheel with dynamo hub for road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Where can I find a wheel with a dynamo hub for a road bike. I know I can get one made up but was wondering if you can buy them off the shelf.

subaqua

What’s the point
Rose bikes

Bike discount.de

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
:rofl: That's the best joke I've heard in a long time. :bravo: :notworthy:

??????????????????

raleighnut

Legendary Member
??????????????????
It was the term "genuine, off the shelf" that got me laughing, a 'handbuilt' wheel laced by a competent wheelbuilder will outlast anything machine made.

Well, I don't know about that. If a person wants a dynohub wheel, then the distinction between being made in a factory or in a bike shops workshop seems to matter little.

and Adrian seemed to 'backpedal' a bit in his next post. :wacko:

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Which is why I was puzzled as to why anyone would specifically want factory made.

I have not put a dyno hub on a road bike before. Looking at Spa cycles a good one costs £200+. An off the peg one costs about £50. Is the Spa cycles wheel going to last 4 times longer than an off the peg wheel. Is it going to be 4 times better?

I need to know all the information to be able to make the correct decision. Which is why I asked.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I have not put a dyno hub on a road bike before. Looking at Spa cycles a good one costs £200+. An off the peg one costs about £50. Is the Spa cycles wheel going to last 4 times longer than an off the peg wheel. Is it going to be 4 times better?

I need to know all the information to be able to make the correct decision. Which is why I asked.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheelsw...b-dynamo-inc-fittings-shimano-qfwhubdynshmno/

Probably the cheapest dynohub wheel you can get, at about £85, but not much use for a road bike.

Most dynohubs cost considerably more than most conventional hubs.

Nebulous

Guru
I bought a Shimano hub dynamo years ago, with the intention of building a set of touring wheels. I got as far as realising I couldn't work out the length of spokes I needed and gave up. There would now be the complication of whether / how to deal with discs if I was to revive the project.

What would be a ballpark figure for getting someone else to do it if I provided the dynamo? Without discs for simplicity- 36 spoke. Shimano LX dynamo.

Top Bottom