Wheel with dynamo hub for road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have not put a dyno hub on a road bike before. Looking at Spa cycles a good one costs £200+. An off the peg one costs about £50. Is the Spa cycles wheel going to last 4 times longer than an off the peg wheel. Is it going to be 4 times better?

I need to know all the information to be able to make the correct decision. Which is why I asked.
Handbuilt will be *at least* 4 times as likely to be "in true" when you take delivery and *at least* 4 times as likely to stay in true over thousands of miles of robust use. In fact, go with discs (and eliminate rim wear) and they may well last the rest of your life.

For the 2 bikes in my fleet that rack up the miles, I would not have anything other than handbuilt wheels. They also happen to be dyno + disc (one set built by Greg Stevens at Enigma, the other by Spa).

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Handbuilt will be *at least* 4 times as likely to be "in true" when you take delivery and *at least* 4 times as likely to stay in true over thousands of miles of robust use. In fact, go with discs (and eliminate rim wear) and they may well last the rest of your life.

For the 2 bikes in my fleet that rack up the miles, I would not have anything other than handbuilt wheels.
I'm sorry but this is nonsense.

Venod

Eh up
I know nothing about wheel building, but I do find it interesting. So this is probably a stupid question, but are cheap wheels actually built by a machine? How does that work? Is there any film of such a thing? Just that I can't imagine it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRYEv2NDdzE

Top Bottom